Skip to main content

Windows 2003 server vs Windows 2000 server

More
20 years 6 months ago #1485 by netwarerular
Hey , microsoft says that Win2003 is faster and have better security when win2000

is that true or is that just a utopia??

Novell Netware Rulez
netware.mine.nu
//Mattias
More
20 years 6 months ago #1495 by sahirh
Microsoft just spent a couple of years and a few gazillion bucks developing and marketting 2003, according to them its faster than a Cray supercomputer running MS-DOS, and more secure than a machine with no power supply.

Give it a few months, we'll start pointing out the millions of little leaks :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1497 by tfs
That spoken from a real Microsoft Zealot. :lol:

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1530 by GhostCert
Well, I have used both and the difference seem pretty small. A lot of the services including IIS is NOT running when the OS first installs. I think that was part of their "security" initiative. In all honesty I just of 2003 as Windows 2000 Second Edition. The next big "change" will come with the release of Longhorn, but the earliest we will see that is 2005. If you have access to 2003 I would learn that, but if you already have experience with 2000 then I would just read up on the differences.......which are minor in my opinion and didn't really warrant a new release name. If anything the changes should have been provided in a service pack.
More
20 years 5 months ago #1533 by sahirh
Hehe thats a nice security initiative :

"Yeah we won't turn on the worlds most insecure webserver by default without telling you when you install our OS"

You gotta love em to hate em :)

The Zealot has spoken

Though I must say I am a big fan of win2k when its nicely setup. Its XP without the big buttons

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1572 by tfs
If they just provided a service pack - how would they make any money??? :lol:

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds