Skip to main content

Installing a VPN through code

More
20 years 6 months ago #1457 by thorpe
I'm am currently trying to set up a network connect to a VPN on a windows system.

I know how to do it via the normal network connection wizard which is a breeze but other people who want to connect to this dial-up VPN are not technical and want an easier (not sure why they think the wizard is hard) way to set up the VPN settings.

I wanted to create a CD that would Auto run and set up the VPN connection but I am not sure how this can be done. (How do ISP's set up people's dial-up with their cd-roms)

I was thinking about scripting with WMI but there is no provider for the network connections wizard I have also looked at c# but failed to find anything.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know

thanks in advance
More
20 years 6 months ago #1462 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic Vpn connectiod
For anyone interested

After a days hard research I have found the answer

To create scripts to setup network connections such as a dial-up accounts, you can use something called the Connection manager administration kit (cmak) which I found on the windows 2003 disks.

This allows you to create dial-up's and VPN's as well as customise the icons and text of the windows that appear when connect to a dial-up. You can even start up applications once connected.

Also if I wanted to roll out an customised IE I would need the IE administration kit (IEAK) which i believe can also make dialup connections.

The IEAK also allows ISP's to create ways for users to register for their services but that was beyond what I wanted so i didn't look any further into this.

many thanks
More
20 years 6 months ago #1466 by sahirh
Hmm thats some interesting info :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1474 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic it sure is
yes i was salavating over it

it sure did save my job though