Skip to main content

Sharing Remote Printer

More
20 years 5 months ago #1484 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sharing Remote Printer
You can also get a printer sharing device, such as JetDirect from HP, that hooks directly to the network and you then connect your printer (which can be a printer that's meant to be standalone) to the network.

The nice thing about these printers (and the networkable printers Sahirh mentioned) is that it is easier to print to with different OSs.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1503 by Demon
Replied by Demon on topic Re: Sharing Remote Printer

Yep enabling sharing can be dangerous (tfs has got me started ;) especially if the computer with sharing enabled is connected to the internet. You might want to set strong passwords on the sharing.

Strong passwords or not, the passwords on Windows 98 shares can easily be broken by using a tool like PQWak. This is because there's a flaw in the encryption routine.

If you are concerend about security (and you should be :D ) you should upgrade to Windows 2000 or firewall everyone off except your own machine.
More
20 years 5 months ago #1507 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Sharing Remote Printer
You're correct.

Passwords are easily broken, especially if, as most people do, they use fairly easy to remember passwords - if any at all - that are easily broken. And the problem is that 98 is not really meant to be that secure.

It would be better to go to a more secure operating system if possible, but if not, you have to use what you have. I would suggest VPNing, if possible, also.

Thanks,

Tom
More
15 years 2 months ago #29176 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Sharing Remote Printer
sahir wrote

Out of curiosity, you said you dial up and print on this printer.. I assume if you dial up, you must be quite far away.. so how do you get the printed documents ?!? Or is this like a one way fax machine

I guess some one will mail it back to him :lol:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds