Skip to main content

Server machine problem

More
18 years 1 month ago #13711 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Server
I'm afraid you might be in Jack's territory now and need to look for a hardware problem.
Most likely culprits (not in any order) would be the power supply, the memory, graphics card or a motherboard problem.
Let's try some simple things first. Open up the case with the server on, and check that all the internal fans are running, including those on the CPU etc, and than none of the vents are blocked up. Check also that all the expansion cards are properly inserted and give any plug-in chips etc on the boards a little push down into their sockets.
If all that is okay, I'd try swapping some hardware. Whatever you do, swap just one item at a time and wait to see if it has any effect. If you change several things at once you'll never know what it was - you need to eliminate potential causes one at a time. If you have any spares (such as a graphics card) start with those simply because you have them to hand. But if you have to buy something then I would start with the power supply first as that's easiest and simplest to try and probably cheapest too.
This is not going to be easy. If you are at all worried about taking your server to bits I would recommend getting it looked at by field service instead
More
18 years 1 month ago #13713 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: Server machine problem
Sound advise from the bishop.

As he will tell you, we have had situations in the past where other people have tried the change everything at once route and resolved the problem. But, when we asked what the fault was the answer was "I don't really know". So, as you can see, this doesn't really help for the next time.

There is an old Military saying "slowly, slowly catchee monkey". In English, take one step at a time, and you will find the problem.

Good luck with your fault finding/
More
18 years 1 month ago #13764 by sujo
Replied by sujo on topic Re: Server machine problem
No power off, but Server shutdown automatically and Power LED alone is glowing.

I have tried changing the UPS, but no use.
More
18 years 1 month ago #13765 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic no power
hi there, i presume no one is able to use the server and the relevant services it provides.
if the power led is working, i suggest you follow through bishop's advice regarding the hardware one by one. start with the main power supply for your server which is the SMPS. make sure the fans are running on it. if yes then try restarting the server again. if you hear beeps atleast then it might be some other hardware like an attached video monitor or a bad ram causing the problem, depending on the number of beeps you hear. if not, then you might need to check your bios. if your motherboard bios is faulty i hope your mother supports replacable bios chips, otherwise you are in some amount of trouble. if your motherboard is dual bios, then it is a remote possibility that both of them will go bust at the same time.
if possible, go to your motherboard vendor or the server vendor, and seek their help

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14090 by cisman
Replied by cisman on topic Re: Server machine problem
hi sujo, The problems for your system according to me,
the way i see it is.

1. system works fine during the day but goes off at night.
so its related to system configs like (services and settings)
so its taking 3:30 mins to go to that mode like you said. Goes to that state at 12:30 pls check your system settings, is it going on standby for some weird reason ? then then the network is down
(also check your quatz 'cell' on mother board may be its weak i had that prob )

2.The network conflicts can be due to the hardware like many our members suggested or can be signall transmission conflict when passing through the hub.(i had the same problem recently and found that the clients are conflicting among themselves so some times some clients signal was down) make sure network is completly configured without any redundancies.
best of luck

please let us know what happened.
cheers
cisman
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14125 by sujo
Replied by sujo on topic Re: Server machine problem
We had two 160 GB Hard disks, one has OS and other had only client data. After removing the second hard disk the problem solved. The problem might be over heating.

But I don't know what exactly caused the problem.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds