Skip to main content

XP issues

More
20 years 6 months ago #1311 by thorpe
XP issues was created by thorpe
I have set up a number of PC's with windows XP fairly good specs and I have noticed after a while the Machine slows down, so I have reinstalled and then everything is good but slows down again. Has any one else notice this or is it something I am doing when installing.

thanks
More
20 years 6 months ago #1312 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: XP issues
Can you specify how long is "After a while" ?

Generally Windows operating systems will slow down as you use them and install and remove applications.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1313 by thorpe
Replied by thorpe on topic Re: XP issues
A while could be a month or two.

I agree that windows will slow down as the registry grows etc, but on a new laptop with a P4 2 ghz etc I was a little bit miffed to see it slow down after about 3 weeks and all it was used for was general office work such as word.

I'm also not sure if it is a windows issue or a hardware problem
More
20 years 6 months ago #1315 by Manip
Replied by Manip on topic Re: XP issues
Download Registry Defrag.

If you want more extensive help send $15 to 'obvious suggestions' > 1800 duh
More
20 years 6 months ago #1318 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: XP issues
Do you install a lot of things ? And do you have a lot of things loading at startup ?
visit and download
www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

It will show you all the things running at startup, try and remove whatever you are sure you don't need.

Then the next time you feel the machine getting sluggish, press ctrl+shift+esc and you'll get task manager.. click 'processes' and sort by 'mem usage'. That should give you an idea of what processes are using lots of resources. Accordingly you can kill them (if you know what they are) or check up on what they are on the net.

However I'm skeptical about all these suggestions as you say you've set it up on 'a number of machines'. Its highly unlikely that all these machines would face the same problem.... maybe you're just very sensitive to the speed.. try fooling around and tweaking XP.

I personally disable a whole lot of services that I don't need. Visit
www.blackviper.com and see which one's you don't need. (You can disable them by starting services.msc from start >> run).

I also chuck system restore and windows file protection out of the window.. They run in the background using lots of resources and I feel I can survive without them (you may not want to do this).

Once again... if these are word processing machines.. none of this should be required. Could you give us the specs on your processor and RAM ?

Oh yeah you could also visit www.diskeeper.com and get the worlds best hard disk defragger, rest assured it always makes a difference.

Sorry bout the long post,
Hope it helped,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1321 by meltdown_ca
Replied by meltdown_ca on topic Re: XP issues
could it be windows update 811493 that is slowing down your pc? it is only critical if you are in a large office with a large amount of users.

till my next digital transmission...Jim
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds