Skip to main content

how to prevent 3rd party email?

More
18 years 5 months ago #11207 by glacier
Hey all,

I am running Server2003 with IIS for my SMTPand WEB hosting.
I am using this setup for more of a learning experience than funtionability. I am having a problem stopping 3rd party email.
I have my inetpub files for web and mail on 2 seperate partions seperate from the C: drive that houses the OS. After I move the inetpub files to the drives I use, delete them from the C:/ drive, the next day the files are back on the C: drive being used by a program that I can not identify. In the newly created inetpub files are a few hundred emails not sent by me.
I know I am missing something but all the resouces I have been using are just sending me in circles :roll: A few companies have sent me complaints about them recieving spam from my IP.
Any help would be greatly welcomed!!

Glacier
More
18 years 5 months ago #11208 by DaLight
Your server is probably running as an open relay, allowing unauthorised computers to send mail through it. Check out this link for instructions on how to stop this.
More
18 years 5 months ago #11212 by glacier
Thanks Daylight. That was actually the link I used when I set up the pop3 service and I did have the wrong relay settings entered. What I find hard to believe is that having that relay open would allow someone to come in and create folders on my C:/ drive to hold the emails they are relaying. I guess what I am asking is, do I have more security problems that could have been caused by having this relay open for a period of time?

Glacier
More
18 years 5 months ago #11218 by DaLight
Glad to hear your problem's been sorted out. Actually, the spammer isn't actually gaining direct access to your C:\ drive. These files are created automatically when emails are sent using your SMTP server.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds