Skip to main content

VMWare workstation Help

More
20 years 6 months ago #1073 by SmartDude
HEllo everybody,
Do anybody know here how to use vmware workstation. Coz after installing it when i try to use it says "vmware tools not installed. I downloaded it also but when i try to install it, it says install in side vmware workstation. I have been trying to use vmware workstation since long time. Hope u guys will help me go experience vitual OS reality. See ya

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
20 years 6 months ago #1094 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VMWare workstation Help
SmartDude,

Even though its been a while since I last used VMWare, I remember having a similar problem with the "vmware tools" not being installed.

The solution ended up being quite simple. This is from memory, so I might miss a few steps, but I'm sure you will get the idea.

When you install vmware, the tools your reffering to are also installed.

You need to power up the virtual pc and then go somewere in the menu thats available on the top bar. There you will find a option with the description "Install VMware tools". Select it and the tools will automatically be installed. You won't though see anything change on your screen. If you then proceed normally to install your OS, you shouldn't receive any errors.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1096 by Manip
Replied by Manip on topic Re: VMWare workstation Help
U can only install the tools on a working OS, you can't install them while your setting up the operating system or before your setting it up. fyi
More
20 years 6 months ago #1097 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VMWare workstation Help
So there you go... install your operating system and then complete the Tools installation!

Thanks for the note Manip.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1098 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: VMWare workstation Help
Chris and Manip are right, you install the tools within the guest OS. If you're installing a version of windows as the guest, then its fairly straightforward, you just start the guest os and when its booted you click 'install vmware tools' from the main vmware window (its under 'file' i think. If your guest os is fullscreen, press ctrl+alt so you can access the main vmware window.

If you're installing tools for a linux os, then its a little bit more complicated, I'd refer you to www.vmware.com , their support section is excellent, not only do they have a FAQ for how to install tools in each guest os, they also have a knowledgebase as well as a news server... i think its news://news.vmware.com. That should sort you out.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds