Skip to main content

Extending volume/partition in Windows 2003 server

More
18 years 7 months ago #10362 by lan2wan
Hi Everyone,
I have been away for some time (2.5 months) and it looks like a lot has changed here for good. I am so happy to be back.

Has anyone found a solution to extending partitions in Win 2003 server? I finally got me Parttion Magic 8.0 and it looks like it won't work on the server.
Is there anything I am doing wrong? I need someone to help me.
Thank you.
Lan2Wan

PS: Chris, DaLight and Sahir,
How are you guys doing? How can I upload pictures of the computer Lab which you guys help me set up to this site?
Thanks
More
18 years 7 months ago #10364 by DaLight
Welcome back lan2wan. If the partition is a System or boot partition, then you you may be prevented from extending it using the built-in Windows tools or indeed Partition Magic.

You will then need to resize using a 3rd party utility which works by not booting into Windows 2003. The key thing to check at this stage is if your current disk is basic or dynamic. If it's basic then it you should be able to resize it with most 3rd party utilities, but if it's dynamic you're stuck. I have not heard of any utilities for resizing dynamic disks.

So in summary, the key points to check are:

1. Is the partition a system or boot partition?
2. Is the disk a basic or dynamic disk?

For more info read this Microsoft KB article
More
18 years 7 months ago #10372 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Disks
Welcome back lan2wan
As dalight says, I think you need to use a third-party utility such as partition magic. Make sure you've got the latest version as some of the earlier ones don't work with recent volume and disk types
Can't wait to see those pictures!
More
18 years 7 months ago #10375 by Chris
Its great to have you back lantowan!

Regarding uploading your pictures so we can all admire your work, check your private message box and you'll find all the details required to upload them to our ftp account.

Once complete, please notify me so we can place the pictures in the correct folder.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 7 months ago #10379 by DaLight
Missed this off my post. Can't want to see the pictures as well.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds