Skip to main content

cisco router vs linux router

More
14 years 4 months ago #33039 by superudu
hello,

what do you think about replacing a linux router with a cisco router?

can a cisco be better than a linux on forwarding traffic? i think yes
but can a cisco also do all the nice things a linux knows?
- multiple ips on an interface (does a cisco allows more than two ips/interface?)
- firewall filters
- firewall redirects
- nat
- dhcp server
?

i am talking here about a regular dual-core cpu 2.5 Ghz linux, with 2 gb ram
and the cisco router must not be some super hero (not very expensive)

does it worth replacing a linux with a cisco router?

thanks.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33040 by TheBishop
Yes a Cisco router can do all those things and more. Plus it is a dedicated piece of commercial-grade hardware - no matter how good your Linux router may be, chances are it'll be running on a standard PC architecture motherboard with a cheapo single power supply etc. Plus you've got support from Cisco but if you do the job yourself you're on your own. In summary, if you're doing the job for a commercial company then I'd do it properly.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33044 by katzebnt

Yes a Cisco router can do all those things and more. Plus it is a dedicated piece of commercial-grade hardware - no matter how good your Linux router may be, chances are it'll be running on a standard PC architecture motherboard with a cheapo single power supply etc. Plus you've got support from Cisco but if you do the job yourself you're on your own. In summary, if you're doing the job for a commercial company then I'd do it properly.

What type of client is this for? I agree with superudu, a dedicated Cisco router would probably be best. With that being said though, not all Cisco equipment has redundant power supplies and buying support from Cisco if the router isn't straight out of the box isn't cheap. Check out the pfSense project, its a good project. If you are going with the Linux Router option as opposed to the Cisco Router option be sure to explain to the client the pro's and con's of each, ultimately it will be them paying for the support and associated maintenance. Good luck!
More
14 years 4 months ago #33045 by sose
Yeah you have actually answered yourself correctly, you can go wrong when you choose cisco routers interms of forwarding traffic.

well... I enjoy some flexibilities on the linux boxes, flavours like Enpaq, untangle that I can even add my add ons

see some more features you can enjoy with a linux box

Integrated antivirus, in some cases dual antivirus support

Proxy server

IT inventory management

mailserver

firewall

Virtualization support: run windows/linux based virtualised applications

Object filters - malwares, cookies, java apps

Windom primary domain controller: NT4 compactibility, multiple user profile support

Data backup

Hardware redundancy support

etc etc
More
14 years 4 months ago #33046 by sose
correction

sorry I meant you CANT go wrong when you choose cisco
More
14 years 4 months ago #33054 by S0lo
This post by nske might help too:

www.firewall.cx/ftopict-4216.html

Will try to come back with more useful thoughts as I'm currently too busy and lazy.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds