Skip to main content

is Linux really free

More
15 years 1 month ago #29633 by sose
More
15 years 1 month ago #29634 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic what's ur context of 'free'
Sose i have not checked the link but believe u me Linux is pure open source... that's why one has the right to edit source codes to suit his needs... dig it?

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 1 week ago #29992 by skylimit
Replied by skylimit on topic Re: is Linux really free
Yep, it's free software according to the GNU lGeneral Public License...

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
15 years 1 week ago #30008 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: is Linux really free
for sure it's free..
Sose, admit it, what do you have against Linux? :wink:

Not only it's free, also most programs are running on it are open source and free, you can make a business just by running a Linux server and having Apache, MySQl and PHP on it for web hosting services, also you can use it in ISP environment, there are free radius server when you can do all accounting and billing maths and all for free or for a very low cost..
I think in any field, it is better to have competitions.. if there is no Linux, then may be Microsoft will not work on making their products better and cheaper..

always Face your Fears...
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 1 week ago #30009 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: is Linux really free
Is the linux server (enterprise) is also free? I believe Red Hat Linux enterprise version 5 is not, or it depends on the version?

Cheers! :D
More
15 years 1 week ago #30012 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: is Linux really free
Your correct gagamboy, not all Linux distro's are free. The enterprise versions of various distro's does indeed cost money. This is because enterprise editions come with support.

Open source doesn't necessarily mean its free of cost, it means that it is free to view and edit code accordingly. Although most version of Linux are free, open source title is more so for what you can do with the distro.

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds