Skip to main content

Hi all Help with Unix

More
20 years 2 months ago #2738 by George
Hi all Help with Unix was created by George
Hi
I am new to Unix and I am practicing with the cygwin bash shell and it does not execute most of the Unix commands
And certain Disk modifying commands are out of the question with windows 2k running in the background
Can anyone suggest a better interface where I can learn more of this commands or is my only option is to install the Unix in the PC as a dua boot if possible !

Thanx in advance

George

More
20 years 2 months ago #2746 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Hi all Help with Unix
When you say UNIX I'm assuming you mean Linux because cygwin is a linux environment emulator.. which commands did you want to try out that didn't work ? As far as I've seen, cygwin implements just about everything from linux.. you can even start an Xwindows session if you install the right packages.

Most likely whats happened is that you did just a default 'base' cygwin install which didn't install a lot of stuff.. run the install program again, you can select more components that you'd like to try out.

If you want to use Linux without all the hassles of dual booting and in a complete and safe manner, check out my post on vmware
www.firewall.cx/modules.php?name=Forums&...=viewtopic&t=243

It will allow you to have a complete linux (or any other os) machine running within your windows.. fully networked et all... without the guest machine even being aware of the windows host. Really awesome stuff.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2775 by George
Replied by George on topic Re: Hi all Help with Unix
Thanx for that immediate reply sahirh ,can you also point me some links that might be useful for me .I am a novice when coming to unix or for that matter Linux .and giving my best for learning this remarkable OS which I recently stumbled upon

Thanx

George

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds