Skip to main content

Sharing files between debian sarge 3.1 and Windows Xp

More
18 years 4 months ago #12522 by Lindows
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how i can share files between these two operating systems. I tried using the connect to server command but it does go through.

Lindows
More
18 years 4 months ago #12526 by Unforgiven
I think you're looking for Samba. I've only a pedstrian knowledge of it, but it's not too difficult to access a windows share with linux using that, and I'm sure you can do the opposite as well, although I never did bother with it too much.

If there's one thing I hate, it's everything.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12541 by nske
Yes samba is really simple to setup, especially for basic filesharing.

Generally you have to do the following:

- Install samba, either from a package repository through the package system of your distribution, or download it's source code from www.samba.org and compile it according to the included instructions (they should be in a file called README or INSTALL). Recommended is the first option (use apt-get).
- Create the configuration file, usually at /etc/samba/smb.conf or similar. Inside the same directory, a sample config file should be provided. There are also detailed instructions and descriptions of all the directives at the official documentation page
- Create and enable the user accounts that will have access to your shares. I.e
[code:1]# smbpasswd -a lindows
password:
# smbpasswd -e lindows[/code:1]
- Run samba! Through a control script that should be installed in /etc/init.d i.e you would execute [code:1]# /etc/init.d/samba start[/code:1]
- All set, you should be able to access the shares by logging in from any windows pc of the network.

To make available shares of windows systems to linux, you can either use the smbclient or some interface for it, i.e in KDE's konqueror (provided it has compiled-in support), at the address bar define
[code:1]smb://1.2.3.4
or
smb://hostname
[/code:1] You will need to provide the credentials for a valid windows system account. The other way is to use smbmount. This gives more flexibility, since the remote share is mounted just like a local filesystem and no special support is needed for any application to access the files. An example of how you could mount the share:
[code:1]mount -t smbfs -o username=lindows,password //HOST /mnt/test[/code:1]
where HOST it could either be the IP address of a windows host, or it's netbios-advertised hostname.
For in-detail information you should refer to the Samba3 Howto & the manpages available online here .

Finally, there is also a driver for NFS shoved somewhere on the windows CD, with which you could access NFS shares from windows, however I don't think it is very optimized and you should get better performance with samba. Of course if you do not require on-demand access of files (that's filesharing, right?!), good-old FTP offers much better performance on file transfers than anything else! :)
More
18 years 4 months ago #12629 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Thats Great
Thanks guys for the advice. I really appreicate it.

Lindows
More
18 years 3 months ago #13067 by beexo
If you want a graphical interface to configure SAMBA, install and use Webmin. Many distros have it.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds