Skip to main content

Serial console access with a MBP

More
14 years 6 months ago #32300 by fn0rd
Hey folks,

I'm new the mac's and one of the tools I would like to have available on the mac is some kind of terminal application. My windows experience has mostly been with SecureCRT. I know mac's have a terminal.app application but is there anything available with the organization and configuration of SecureCRT? Also is there a 'recommended' usb->rs232 adapter for mac's?

Thanks
More
14 years 5 months ago #32503 by rtrice81
take a look at zterm

that is what i used when I work for a school system and we were assigned mac laptops

it worked great

Rich Trice
KR Tech Solutions - networks of the future
More
14 years 5 months ago #32708 by katzebnt

Hey folks,

I'm new the mac's and one of the tools I would like to have available on the mac is some kind of terminal application. My windows experience has mostly been with SecureCRT. I know mac's have a terminal.app application but is there anything available with the organization and configuration of SecureCRT? Also is there a 'recommended' usb->rs232 adapter for mac's?

Thanks

Prolific USB - RS-232 converters work very well under OS X. I use the "screen" command from the terminal. Do an "ls -l | more" of your /dev directory and find the device file for your USB - RS-232 converter (mine is /dev/usbserial). Execute the screen command like so: "screen /dev/usbserial 9600", where 9600 is whatever baud rate your console port is set at. Will probably bring up a blank screen first, don't forget to press "Enter" to be dropped to a prompt. Works like a charm without any extra software.
More
13 years 10 months ago #34717 by skepticals
nnbnbI just went through the same thing and ended up getting a Tripplite Keyspan USA-19HS adapter and used the screen command as stated above.

www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-se....cfm?txtSeriesID=849
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds