Skip to main content

Routing Accross VLANS

More
15 years 1 month ago #29977 by Edi
Routing Accross VLANS was created by Edi
Hello..

I am new to this site. Since it appears to be primarily cisco related, I thought I post my questions here.

I have a Layer 3 HP Procurve switch Configured with two VLANS. There is a telephone switch connected to the switch on VLAN 2. The switch has two addresses 192.168.1.252 for Vlan 2 and 192.168.24.252 for Vlan1. I need to access the telephone switch for general admin work. The switche's IP address is 192.168.1.2 /24 on the 192.168.1.0 /24 (VLAN 2). I have a station on the 192.168.24.0/24 network (VLAN 1).

when I try to access the admin webserver on the telephone switch http://192.168.1.2 from my station on 192.168.24.0/24 subnet nothing happens - the browser cannot find the switch.

The L3 switch with the VLANS have a default Gateway 192.168.24.254. This host is a router. The dhcp server for the VLAN2 has gateway 192.168.1.254. I am assuming that the router has 2 virtual interfaces - one for each vlan - and therefore should be able to route traffic between the 2 Vlans. I cannot confirm the configuration of the router as I do not have the logins for it.

The L3 switch also has IP routing command issue. I tried changing my host GW to 192.168.24.252 (which is the VLAN 1 address of the switch) but to no avail. I still cannot connect. I thought since its a L3 switch it should have provided a route but am still gettiing through.

Wonder if someone in this forum can help. this is driving me round the bend... It will be appreciated. Attached is the switch configuration

Running configuration:

; J8165A Configuration Editor; Created on release #H.08.60

hostname "xxxxx"
snmp-server contact "xxxxx"
snmp-server location "xx"
interface 49
speed-duplex 10-full
exit

ip default-gateway 192.168.24.254
ip routing
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted

vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1,4-49
ip address 192.168.24.252 255.255.255.0
no untagged 2-3,50
exit

vlan 2
name "Mitel"
untagged 2-3,50
ip address 192.168.1.252 255.255.255.0
qos priority 2
tagged 4-49
exit

Thanks in advance

Edi
More
15 years 1 month ago #29983 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Routing Accross VLANS
Welcome to Firewall.cx Edi. We'll try to help here with any networking questions, not just Cisco, so feel free to ask.
You are trying to access the Mitle on VLAN 2 from your PC on VLAN1 so you need some means of routing traffic between the two VLANs. Your problem seems to be because this is not happening.
You are guessing your external router has two virtual interfaces, one on each VLAN, but I don't see any switch ports in your config that might support that. So the alternative is that your router has two physical connections into your switch, one to a VLAN1 port and the other to a VLAN 2 port. If that isn't the case then your external router is not going to do what you need.
I can also see the ip routing command in your switch config but since I'm not that familar whth this kit I can't say whether that is enough to properly set inter-VLAN routing up. I would get hold of the documentation for the switch and read the routing part to see what else might be required
More
15 years 1 month ago #30031 by skylimit
Replied by skylimit on topic Re: Routing Accross VLANS
nnbnb

Welcome to Firewall.cx Edi. We'll try to help here with any networking questions, not just Cisco, so feel free to ask.
You are trying to access the Mitle on VLAN 2 from your PC on VLAN1 so you need some means of routing traffic between the two VLANs. Your problem seems to be because this is not happening.
You are guessing your external router has two virtual interfaces, one on each VLAN, but I don't see any switch ports in your config that might support that. So the alternative is that your router has two physical connections into your switch, one to a VLAN1 port and the other to a VLAN 2 port. If that isn't the case then your external router is not going to do what you need.
I can also see the ip routing command in your switch config but since I'm not that familar whth this kit I can't say whether that is enough to properly set inter-VLAN routing up. I would get hold of the documentation for the switch and read the routing part to see what else might be required

Hi TheBishop,

Maybe you (or anyother person) could answer my question posted here: www.firewall.cx/ftopict-6351.html . Basically, assuming you had a L3 switch with an IOS which supports routing ,would you prefer to use its internal routing capability as opposed to using an external router (router-on-a-stick), to route between vlans?

Thanks for any response.

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds