Skip to main content

How To Search Using Google?, Tips, tricks, and sure-fire s

More
18 years 10 months ago #9141 by ping
This can come in handy when you want a fast solution becouse some of the questions can be answered easily by just doing googling and i read a good article on how to search google so here it goes :

Say you ask about how to go about using an open Wingate machine to connect to IRC. I know this is an old, tired topic that will most likely not work anymore, but let's do a search anyway, cause you just found out your buddy's Wingate is set up to allow outside connections and you want to show him why this is a bad thing.

Step 1: Determine your question's prime subject(s)
The subjects in this matter are Wingate and IRC. A google search for Wingate will turn up 1,320,000 results while a search for IRC turns up 11,300,000 results. Intersection of said results can be done with a search for Wingate IRC for about 47,800 results.

Step 2: Go further than page one.
So you start looking at the results you're getting. You go through the Google pages and can't find any answer. Guess what? There *IS* a page two. It's okay to nest in a few pages by default. On page two you'll find the link to:

Proxy/WinGate/SOCKS Tutorial By Jatt More tutorials at http ...
blacksun.box.sk/proxy.txt

Only the link you find is dead!! Oh my God!

Step 3: Use caches when you only need the text of the page.
No, don't fret. This is where the "Cached" link becomes valuable. It will still show you the text (which is what we want) sometimes without the images. So down below, where it says: "blacksun.box.sk/proxy.txt - 11k - Cached - Similar pages" you click on the "Cached" link and will get a URL like:
216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:oahH8...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

This is great! The full text is there. So let's read it!

[code:1] Wingates with IRC:

To configure your IRC client to use a Wingate, simply tell it that you're behind a SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 (again, depending on the Wingate. Try both and see which one of them work) and enter the Wingate's IP. If you are asked for a username and a password, leave these fields blank. Since there are so many IRC clients out there, I won't explain further and let you explore your own client by yourself.[/code:1]

Step 4: Evalute results and determine what went wrong.
Wait a minute. This doesn't really tell me much, and it is the port 23 that is open on my buddy's Wingate server, not the SOCKS server. Hmmm. I know it is vulnerable, but how am I going to prove that to him?

Suppose I remember one tutorial I read a long time ago. It told me how to get mIRC to work with a wingate, and even included what I needed to type in great detail. Where did that tutorial go?

I was also getting lot of results/returns from IRC networks that I didn't care to get. Maybe I need to filter out those as well. Let's start to assemble a Google search string based on what it is we'd like.

Step 5: Create a new query string based on what you want.
I want to get results for:
A tutorial or FAQ about using a Wingate connection on port 23 to connect to an IRC network using mIRC. I do not want to get results from IRC Networks themselves.

Query string:
tutorial OR FAQ Wingate "port 23" IRC mIRC -"IRC network"

Okay, I get results, but it's the same stupid tutorial by Jatt. Wait, maybe that's a good thing! Let's make a new query!

Query string:
tutorial OR FAQ Wingate "port 23" IRC mIRC -"IRC network" -Jatt

The caches for the third and fourth items from your Google query are going to return items you want. But still, suppose you cannot find that specific item you were looking for. Let's try one more time.

Step 6: Adjust queries to remove keywords that you aren't certain of and search specific to a site.

I remember which website I found the tutorial/FAQ on, it was on www.cyberarmy.com . I don't think it talked about IRC, but I know it mentioned mIRC and wingates and using port 23.

I want to get results for:
A tutorial or FAQ about using a Wingate connection on port 23 from an mIRC client. I want to search specific to www.cyberarmy.com .

Query string:
tutorial OR FAQ Wingate "port 23" mIRC site:cyberarmy.com
Result:
www.cyberarmy.com/wwwboard/programming/faq2.shtml

And there you have it. The best tutorial for spoofing your IP using Wingate and mIRC. Written by the most elite hax0r evar!

Step 7: Learn how to properly use Google.

Google Basics: www.google.com/help/basics.html
This merely tells you how to use the OR and quotes around words for literal interpretations.

Google Advanced: www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
Most of you can start here. Teaches site searching and how to exclude pages with certain words.

Phrase Searching:
Using quotes around words, "like this", is called phrase searching and very well may be the most powerful searching method for most of the items you are looking for. Especially when you throw in the asterisk for a term you may not know.

Do a Google search for: "how to hack *" to see what I mean (include the quotes).

Phone and Location:
An entire tutorial can be done on this, mainly because it's an easy way to make side cash to find out an online person's real identity. Some people have been doing it for years. Google provides some decent tools, but social engineering someone who has access to SS# databases within the government is probably the best way.

phonebook:lastname ST
or, as an example:
rphonebook:William Hung CA

Good luck.

Note: Google and other server web links are bound to change since this posting. Please be aware that if you click on a link, it very well may not exist. This is merely meant as a tutorial to help people use Google.

Originally posted by Yorn on governmentsecurity.org

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
18 years 10 months ago #9150 by nske
Amen, ping! I'm seriously thinking to make this sticky, a proper search in google is the first step for every question! :)
More
18 years 10 months ago #9168 by ping

Amen, ping! I'm seriously thinking to make this sticky, a proper search in google is the first step for every question! :)

I think all of the newbies (Include me) can get benefited by this thread. What are you waiting for in makeing this one sticky.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
18 years 10 months ago #9172 by nske
Basically, just the fact that there is going to be a reorganization at the forum categories soon -and this category officially is supposed to be about operating systems.

Nevermind though, I make it sticky from now. :)
More
18 years 3 months ago #12783 by cisman
Nice stuff ping. its a great article for some one who is always on googling, it really helps them. i get lost sometimes while searching for a topic or may be get fedup, cause due to the wrong results. this article will help me alot

cheers
More
17 years 10 months ago #15359 by sahirh
If you're an information junkie, you'd best get all these down:

www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html

www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html

www.google.com/help/operators.html

I also recommend you hit blogs through technorati and try a couple of other search engines. We've come to rely on Google as our entire portal to the world, sometimes you find esoteric stuff through other engines.

If you're looking for something really obscure (say software, ebooks etc), then learning how to search baidu.com is extremely worth it.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds