Skip to main content

GMail Drive Shell Extension - gigabytes of online storage

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #8166 by DaLight
nnbnbJust installed this and it works like a dream. Creates a new drive and allows you to seamlessly transfer files to/from your GMail account. You can also use secure HTTP as well. Check it out at www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm
More
18 years 1 month ago #13940 by rene
Mail storage is not the right easy way. Look into this online storage solution.

They have many applications which will help you to transfer Gigs of data between your computer and your online account. You can easily Map your online storage account as a local drive on your computer and drag-n-drop, open, edit and save files directly from your local system.
More
18 years 1 month ago #13942 by DaLight
Good point rene. It's just that the above solution is free and would probably be suitable for most people's needs. In addition, storage is potentially unlimited as you can open as many Gmail accounts as you like. Of course iBackup would be more attractive to people with more sophisticated requirements who are willing to pay for it.
More
18 years 1 month ago #13944 by tHe-SwItCh
Replied by tHe-SwItCh on topic ahem ..............
hi all

I think the discussed extension has some way to go ... of course can't complain against freeware and someone's honest toil, Heard about Gmail potentially banning accounts that come under scrutiny for such acts ... not sure how they r gonna keep track of who's doin wat tho !

Also, typically the Extension uploads your documents/ watever online in the form of an attachment to an email and it virtually stays there forvever. However, I seemed to have gotten a bad fruit ... lost about a few 10s of MBs of some important data since it got corrupted and coulkdnt be extracterd/ decoded back by the application/ extension. Not the best of solutions if your uploaded data means life to ya :roll:
More
18 years 1 month ago #13946 by DaLight
I use it all the time with no problems, but I use it mainly as a universally accessible document store rather than for storing huge files. So the issue may be to do with file sizes. By the way, there is now a Firexfox extension called Gmail Space that does something similar.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds