Skip to main content

Connecting securely from the public place

More
17 years 2 months ago #20056 by ping
nnbnbnnbnbI thought as i am connecting from my college and sometimes from local cafe it is many times not as safe so i googled something out and found out this site with video tutorial showing you to connect to your home linuxbox\shell from whatever public location you're at, whether it be an internet cafe, work, college dorms, or lan party, and it will tunnel the plaintext information (or whatever it may be) through it's encrypted connection to your box\shell, hopefully, secure network using the SOCKS5 Proxy Method.

Requirements:

1.) Putty - Ssh Client ( hxxp://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe )
2.) LinuxBox or Shell with openSSH installed.

Video Tutorial can be found at: hxxp://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/sshdynamicportforwarding

There are a few modifications you need to make if you're going to setup the linuxbox on your home network to allow you to tunnel through. There are a few ways to do this:

First Method, easiest but least secure way, setup your linuxbox as DMZhost on your network, and all traffic should go through. This does bring up a few security issues being that any external attempts to contact your ip will go directly to that computer. You'll then have to secure that box, which isn't something i'm going to cover.

Second Method, which is the one i prefer being i have multiple servers on my network that i use for different services, Port Forwarding. You'll need to forward 2 ports to your linux box, port 22, and whatever port you want to be used for the 'proxy' to be. The port used for the proxy-to-be must be the same port you use when following the video tutorial.

Actually posted on www.governmentsecurity.org

Cheers...

~Ping..:D

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
17 years 1 month ago #20327 by sahirh
Cool tutorial. I just posted a response to someone on a similar topic in the Security forum.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds