Skip to main content

Domain Controller, registry and Group Policy restrictions

More
15 years 5 months ago #28355 by KiLLaBeE

My question was essentially asking about whether the registry would get overfull and, if so, would there would be any reason (in a real life network) to clear out the registry on client machines. I know that a new "virgin" image of the OS can be loaded on the clients and suspect that this might be an annual job for the IT staff during the summer holiday.

Would it get overfull? I don't know. Never heard of such nor have I heard of this being expressed as a concern in numerous Windows or Windows performance books/magazines/articles that I've read.

In a real world scenario it's probably more efficient to reimage machines then to go in and fiddle with the bits and pieces of the OS that make it operate optimally (i.e: defragging, performing disk cleanup, etc). All lab computers in my college get reimaged at night by an automated process. All library and "open" machines are already logged on with a generic student login so there's essentially only two or so profiles on the computer (a software "shell" that requires the students to input their student ID is what controls access to the actual, customized desktop).
More
15 years 5 months ago #28357 by S0lo

If KiLLaBeE (and my understanding of how the registry works) is/are correct, shouldn't there be a whole load of entries (50, 100, 200, more?) in HKEY_USERS?

Good point, Thats how I understand it too. But I'm not sure if they are all loaded into memory or read from the files directly or if regedit.exe itself reads from the registry files.

On second thought, these might give a clue although they're not direct answers.

support.microsoft.com/kb/124594
www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsT...trySizeLimitRSL.html

This one is related to the system hive being so large.
support.microsoft.com/kb/306038

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds