Skip to main content

Satellite Internet Access

More
17 years 6 months ago #17773 by glacier
I was looking for any opinions on satellite internet access. I have lost my hardwire option and might be stuck with sateliite. Just interested in what some current user might have to say.

Thanks
More
17 years 6 months ago #17779 by TheBishop
If satellite is the only option then it's obviously the one to go for :)
One thing to remeber with such links though is they tend to be very high latency; if all you want is 'ordinary' Internet access you'll be fine but if you're doing multiple remote desktop sessions across a VPN you might have problems
More
17 years 6 months ago #17781 by eylli
Replied by eylli on topic Re: Satellite Internet Access
The satellite is a little bit slow then leased lines (DSL). so if you ping yahoo.com from the satellite you will have a minimum time of 480 ms the max on 800 ms and the normal in 90 % of time 650 ms.

from the telco provider you will ahve times at the range between 80 ms to 180 ms

regards
More
17 years 6 months ago #17783 by glacier
Yes Bishop, the company (Hughes Net) I looked into even says that if you run a VPN, that it cuts your speed 50% to 70%. Nothing like paying 3 times as much for something you will get a third of the thoughput if you actually use it. Now I know why my brother told me to change my name to "Ben Dover" when I told him my only option was satellite!
More
17 years 6 months ago #17784 by TheBishop
You have my sympathy Glacier
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds