Skip to main content

How to connect two networks together

More
17 years 9 months ago #15666 by Brandonh
Can anyone help me figure out how to connect two diffrent networks together and yet keep them on diffrent networks such as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 and provide internet access to both. I have two Dsl/Cable routers how can i configure this. I can get network connected to the second router to ping the first router the i cant get a node from the first network to ping the second router. In essence i cannot go out the Lan port of the first router and into the wan of the second router only out of the Wan from the second router to the Lan on the first router. I imagine its doing this becaue the first router 192.168.2.1 does not recognize it as part of its own network so it goes to the default gateway in which is the internet then it never makes it to the second router. How can i configure this to work and remain on two networks 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 ?
More
17 years 9 months ago #15739 by Dutchman
Try an <IP ROUTE X.X.X.X> and make sure you permit it on the <ACCESS-LIST> if that isn't already going thru, check with <sh ip route list #> with # being the number of the list, handy command.
Hope it helps you along the way, cheerio......
More
17 years 9 months ago #15744 by Brandonh
Replied by Brandonh on topic routing
the question is can you route to a network your not in or will it go through the default gateway? if your mask is 255.255.255.0 it wont think anythingn is in its netwrok but the last occet. i dont think it can route to something not on its network can it ?
More
17 years 9 months ago #15813 by Brandonh
So far from my experimenting I have learned that if its not in its Network it sends the packets to the default gateway which then checks to see if its in the same network if not it goes through its default gateway. I also realized that you can send packets out your default gateway to your router and the LAN interface can be on the same network as your destination address and beable to route it through its LAN interface without every going out the routers default gateway.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16393 by Dove
Yes, if there is no such a network in the routing table by default the traffic will forwarded to the default route(if its configured).

Hope the first router didnt configured with the correct default routing. Can u give the routing details here?

Dove

Dove
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds