Skip to main content

Connecting routers wirelessly.

More
18 years 11 months ago #8590 by o2oigo
I was in a situation where a computer had no wireless card and I didn't have my little USB attachment on me. I did however have one of those wireless compact Linksys WRT54GC routers on me, but I wasn't sure if you could connect it to a wireless access point. Is this a possibility? If so, how can I set this up. Thanks.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8668 by tfs
If I understand you correctly, you had no wireless card in your machine at all.

If this is the case, how were you expecting to connect to a wireless router (or Access Point).

Regardless, of what you have - you have to connect to a device before you can go anywhere. If your wireless router had a lan connection you could still connect by wire. If not, you have to have some type of wireless card or connection in you PC to talk to the wireless router.

Thanks,

Tom
More
18 years 10 months ago #8674 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Wireless
Hey tfs, good to see you on. Long time no speak.
I think the situation is that o2oigo has a wireless LAN in the premises but for some reason didn't have a wireless card in the laptop so wanted to connect an access point to the laptop using a cable and then use that to access the wireless network. If that's the case, there are usually two modes you can put a wireless card/device into, access point mode (for connecting to a wireless LAN controlled by an AP) and peer-to-peer mode (for a straight wireless link between two computers). If you could put the access point into the latter mode it might then be able to link up with your main access point. However I don't know if you can do that with the device mentioned
More
18 years 10 months ago #8679 by tfs
Yes, it has been a long time.

I have been real busy working on my new job and absolutely no time for other stuff. Actually, been out of the networking arena for awhile so need to get up to speed again.

I would agree with you on his situation except he specifically says he has no wireless card and wants to connect to an access point, but no USB attachment (for what????). It was a little confusing on what he had and what he was trying to accomplish.

If he had the WRT54GC connected to internet and wanted to connect to it (wired), that should be no problem. What would be the point of connecting an access point to the WRT54GC if you have no wireless card in your laptop, unless it is to connect wirelessly to another access point to get to another wireless router (this is getting complicated) and use the access point as a relay (as I thing you were talking about). Peer to Peer mode wouldn't make sense here if he has no wireless card to begin with.

Fun.

Thanks,

Tom
More
18 years 10 months ago #8680 by tfs
BTW, where did the shout box go????

Thanks,

Tom
More
18 years 10 months ago #8682 by beexo
Only o2oigo can confirm this. But what I think he is trying to do is use the Linksys router as a replacement for the wireless card. I think this is possible. Not sure if you have to set it to Bridge or another mode.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds