Skip to main content

WEP,

More
19 years 3 months ago #6626 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: WEP,
To sum it all up

Quick Wireless LAN Security tips

1)Change the default Admin password on your Access Point (this includes the webinterface)

2)Change the your default SSID (network name)

3)Disable the SSID broadcast option

4)Enable MAC address filtering on your Access Point

5)Turn off DHCP. If not possible, restrict DHCP leases to the MAC addresses of your Wireless clients only

6)Refrain from using the default subnet

7)Use the highest level of WEP/WPA(2)

8)Firewall your Wireless Network segment (separate segment and packet filtering)

9)Use a switch for connecting the Access Point to other network devices, not a hub

10)Encrypt your wireless traffic using a VPN
Further, use encryption protocols for applications where possible (TLS/https, ssh, etc)

11)Think about using a proxy with access control for outgoing requests

12)Enable logging, and check your (wireless) log files regularly

13)Test your wireless security using wardriving tools or if you are lazy ask Sahir to do it for you :D
These steps will give you basic protection. However, Wireless LAN Security and Network Security in general is more than just following "simple steps".
More
19 years 3 months ago #6630 by davidklose
Replied by davidklose on topic Re: WEP,
Well, actually, i'm using wpa encryption at home, and i completely agree with you.
Anyway, i would like to thank you about the info on wireless security.

DavidKlose
More
19 years 2 months ago #7164 by mrymptryx
Replied by mrymptryx on topic Re: WEP,

To sum it all up

Quick Wireless LAN Security tips

1)Change the default Admin password on your Access Point (this includes the webinterface)

2)Change the your default SSID (network name)

3)Disable the SSID broadcast option

4)Enable MAC address filtering on your Access Point

5)Turn off DHCP. If not possible, restrict DHCP leases to the MAC addresses of your Wireless clients only

6)Refrain from using the default subnet

7)Use the highest level of WEP/WPA(2)

8)Firewall your Wireless Network segment (separate segment and packet filtering)

9)Use a switch for connecting the Access Point to other network devices, not a hub

10)Encrypt your wireless traffic using a VPN
Further, use encryption protocols for applications where possible (TLS/https, ssh, etc)

11)Think about using a proxy with access control for outgoing requests

12)Enable logging, and check your (wireless) log files regularly

13)Test your wireless security using wardriving tools or if you are lazy ask Sahir to do it for you :D
These steps will give you basic protection. However, Wireless LAN Security and Network Security in general is more than just following "simple steps".

Hi David,

Maximus has a very good insight in solving issues for wireless security especially for home users. I would like to highlight steps 3, 4 and 5, this would really secure your wireless connection. If you want to have details on doing it, You can visit the knowledgebase of the wireless router manufacturer or you can call their 24x7 Technical support if ever. Step 6 is a very option as well.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use LEAP as well, I think this is one of the major breakthrough for wireless security as well. You can contact your support for the configuration.

Archee M.

Technical SUpport Professional
AT&T Global Network Services
MDNS -US -Tier 1
More
19 years 2 months ago #7252 by Sophie
Replied by Sophie on topic Re: WEP,
I agree with that

So-So
More
19 years 2 months ago #7354 by MHTS
Replied by MHTS on topic Re: WEP,
For those who also wants to go an extra mile: if the AP supports RADIUS authentication, and you have that (I meant, if you have RADIUS server) - it definitely adds another strong layer of defense. :wink:

<i>Failing to prepare is preparing to fail</i>
Soar High <b>Siwawer!</b>
More
19 years 2 months ago #7391 by ReX
Replied by ReX on topic Re: WEP,
MaXiMuS I think you summed up the last 7 weeks of my wireless security class in one post =)
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds