Skip to main content

multicast storm in wireless network

More
19 years 6 months ago #5273 by Heretic
I'm in the process of adding wireless capablities to our lan. I've installed the first 3com access point (11g) and it works great.

I'm experiencing the following problem:

whenever I install the second Access Point, my network slows down considerably. After some investigating, I noticed that multicasts went from an average of 50-80 to 2900+ as soon as the second AP was powered on. I see a tremendous amount of retransmissions, acks, etc. I've swapped out the AP's but I still get this problem. I need to install 8 AP's.

Has anyone come across this problem? 3Com was no help.
I have a simple nt4 network with about 200 users.

nt4 domain
1 pdc, 2 bdc
win2000 server for dhcp

Thanks
More
19 years 6 months ago #5280 by sahirh
If possible could you post a small capture file with samples of the traffic so that we can analyse it. Are you sure its multicast traffic ? 802.11 does generate a lot of administrative overhead in the form of beacons etc.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5301 by Heretic
Sahir,

thanks for replying. How do I go about attaching a file? Can you use a sniffer 4.5 format?

On the sniffer dashboard, the multicasts/s shoots up from 50-80 to currently 3047, all other values being about the same. This happens as soon as I plug in the second access poin, and disappears when I unplug it.

packets/s = 3044
utilization = 2
errors/s = 0
drops/s = 0
bytes/s = 228021
broadcasts = 2
multicasts/s = 3036

Thanks

Emin
More
19 years 6 months ago #5316 by sahirh
Hmm if you have a little bit of space to upload the capture files to it would be a good idea.. maybe a geocities account or something.

I guess the sniffer file format should do.. see if it can save as a libpcap packet capture file since thats more universally supported. No need to give a whole lot of traffic, just a small sample is fine.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds