Skip to main content

wireless intemittent Router connectivity issue

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #38352 by Amer
Hi everyone,

I have got an Huawei HG8245 wireless router with 40 mbps optical connection on it and as we are in the same room as of the wireless router itself we are connected through wifi and the issue is that when i ping to the Ip address given to the router i.e., the Default gateway there is a intermittent connectivity issue once the packets are recieved and thrice the Ping response is "Request timed out" and same cycle goes on....unless i reboot the router and in every two to three days i have found that the router reboots itself.

I cannot let that go on as the telecommunication of my office is also through that very huawei router.I had the config file downloaded when i previously have done the configuration i again uploaded it and rebooted the router after which the pings were being responded or acknowledged but like after 5 to 10 minutes again its the same issue and at times the connection automatically gets back to normal and again it goes the same as described above.I dun think its a wifi issue as wifi is only being disconnected when the router is rebooting itself or the router is rebooted manually.Honestly i think the issue with the routing protocol deployed on the router by the service provider cox its not that all the system experience the this issue all at once..when my colleague experiences it i do not and vice versa where as we are all connected wirelelssly and we are all in the same DHCP pool.

Any asistance would be really appreciated in this regards.

Regards,

Amer.

Aim for the moon dun worry even if you miss it,you'll land amongst the stars...
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Amer.
More
10 years 10 months ago #38353 by Nevins
Hello Amer,

I would wager your service provider has nothing to do with it and the issue is on your side of the network. There is very little your service provider can do to make your network gateway unreachable from devices your local area network. My guess is you have a wireless issue OR a LAN addressing conflict is taking place OR an interface is bad.

So lets look at what we know:

You have a Huawei HG8245 WIRELESS router.
Your network UPLINK is from COX.
You run DHCP.
You sometimes cannot ping your Default Gateway.
Rebooting will make the problem go away but eventually it comes back.

You have a Huawei HG8245 WIRELESS router.
So you think the problem might be wireless? Can you exclude wireless as a problem? A HG8245 wireless router has WIRED lan connections on the back can you plug in and ping the Default Gateway with a wired device?

If you can the problem may be wireless.
If you can't you can rule out wireless as the root cause of your connection issues.

You run DHCP.
Do you have a way of checking the leases on your router?
Are the computers having issues pinging the gateway able to ping again after renewing their lease?
Check your devices and make sure there are no duplicate addresses on your network.

Rebooting will make the problem go away but eventually it comes back.
Think about what would cause your problem to only exist after a certain amount of time has passed.
Is something overheating?
Is there potential for a broadcast storm?
Is there a bad interface somewhere?

Sometimes you cannot ping your Default Gateway.
Try to identify what devices and when these devices are unable to ping the Default Gateway.
Is the issue taking place on only one device at a time?
Does the issue last forever or does it only go away when you reboot?

Your network UPLINK is from COX.
Your problem is on your Lan and COX likely isn't at fault unless there is a problem with the interface itself and they provided the router. What type of support contract exists? You may be able to sit on hold for a few hours and figure out that the device is malfunctioning.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
10 years 10 months ago #38373 by Amer
Hey all,

The issue is now resolved...the crashing was due to the telephone lines not configured properly and the Request timed out was the wifi and the routing protocol issue deployed on the huawei router....the huawei router was changed by the Vendor and i gave LAN connectivity to all the users in the office hence resolving the issue.

Aim for the moon dun worry even if you miss it,you'll land amongst the stars...
More
10 years 10 months ago #38374 by Nevins
Hey Amer,

I'm glad you got everything up and running as that is priority #1 in most cases.
Your solution of just throwing away the old router and putting a new one in (while effective) still leaves me wondering what actually happened and how you decided what was wrong.

crashing was due to the telephone lines not configured properly

Really? What was the misconfiguration?

Request timed out was the wifi and the routing protocol issue deployed on the huawei router

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the routing protocol on the Huawei router caused a time out on your local lan?

huawei router was changed by the Vendor

Something was misconfigured and your router had the wrong configuration so you got a new one? Why was this the end result rather then just changing the configuration?

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds