Skip to main content

issue with netgear router

More
15 years 8 months ago #26657 by kirti007
i have a motorola adsl modem. my isp is utelecom.
in this internet connection isp have mac binding facilite.so isp is bind my pc's lan card mac address.
so the i can connect a my netgear wireless router against isp's adsl modem. my internet connection is not working.
in netgear router have mac binding facilite like linksys wrt54g router.
so we can bind my pc mac address in netgear router and i am use my internet connection through wireless.
More
15 years 8 months ago #26673 by TheBishop
Welcome kirti007
The mac binding facility is exactly what you need with this type of internet connection. The provider ties their modem or service unit to the single mac address of your PC, so if you want to add your own wireless router you must use one that can be set to that address. Providers do this as a rather feeble attempt to stop you sharing their service across multiple machines. Look up the model number of your Netgear wireless router on google to find out if it has this facility
More
15 years 8 months ago #26680 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: issue with netgear router
Thats the first time I know that an adsl interface can have a MAC address. Does it use ethernet on layer 2? I thought it's ppp. Or am I missing some thing here?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #26695 by TheBishop
Perhaps I should have explained it better; I was trying to keep the english simple. It's not the ADSL interface that has the MAC address, it's the modem/TV box/router thing the ISP puts in your house that is configured to only communicate with a single MAC address out of it's LAN port. This is usually the first address it sees, or the one that it sees when the setup is performed. For most domestic users this is the MAC address of their PC so they are blissfully unaware. But if we then plug in a switch or wireless router instead of the PC the ISP's box then refuses to pass traffic because the upstrem MAC address is now wrong. Hence the MAC Masquerade facility in many routers and devices
More
15 years 8 months ago #26696 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: issue with netgear router
TheBishop

Aha :o, that explains allot. so could it help him to manually reset this "ISPs box" and reconfigure it to accept his own netgear router MAC. hmmm, but I guess they thought of that, wouldn't they.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #26733 by TheBishop
You would guess they'd have thought of that, but usually it works anyway. Like I said, as restrictions go it's more annoying that effective
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds