Skip to main content

Wireless probs

More
16 years 7 months ago #23082 by Kaneda
Wireless probs was created by Kaneda
Hi guys,

After replacing my old motherboard I managed to get my old installation of XP up and running with the minimum of fuss. Everything is working as it should be except for my wireless PCI card.

It installs fine, sees my sky broadband connection via my Netgear wireless router, asks for the security code, trys to aquire an address but that's as far as it gets...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Kaneda.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23088 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Wireless probs
This kind of problem is often down to one of two things:
1) the WEP key is wrong - double double check this
2) old or multiple instances of the driver conflicting with eachother. Your comment that you got your old installatiopn of XP working on a new motherboard makes me suspect this. Try completely uninstalling the wireless card and all its drivers, the whole lot, then installing it again from scratch. This might work. Once I had a system that was so confused the only cure was to reinstall XP after which the wireless worked first time
More
16 years 7 months ago #23089 by Kaneda
Replied by Kaneda on topic Re: Wireless probs
Thanks for that Bishop - I did the usual uninstall drivers, remove from device manager etc. then tried both allowing windows to find and try and install the device as well as installing using the manufacturers driver software.

Regarding the WEP - it's a Sky router and I've not gotten around to contacting Sky for the router admin details yet so it's the code that came on the 'put in a safe place' card.

Will have another go at this tonight.

Cheers,

Kaneda.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23091 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Wireless probs
Sky router admin details:

username= admin, password= sky
More
16 years 7 months ago #23093 by Kaneda
Replied by Kaneda on topic Re: Wireless probs

Sky router admin details:

username= admin, password= sky

Lol - dear oh dear... well I'm glad I hadn't tried yet and failed to guess it!

Thanks DaLight ;)
More
16 years 7 months ago #23146 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: Wireless probs
You could try logging into the netgear via cable and turning off the encryption (only for testing) then at least you will know if it's an encryption issue or hardware issue. Also check the wireless connection properies just incase an incorrect WEP key has been saved to the connection props.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds