Skip to main content

basic question

More
16 years 8 months ago #22851 by kuldeep
basic question was created by kuldeep
Hi I have a laptop when ever i try connecting to wifi it gets connected i also get an valid ip address 192.168.1.13 and so on...but when i try browsing the websites i am not able to access them. the send data packets are more than the received ones. the firewall and antivirus are switched off. I need to know that do i have to make any changes in my wirless settings so that I could get proper access. Could you please help me with this.

Regards
Kuldeep
More
16 years 8 months ago #22852 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: basic question
i will first check if wifi is dhcp enabled, then see if ip is auto ip from
windows or it's in the wireless configured range, if the ip is correct
try ping default gateway (wireless), if you can ping the default gateway
check if there is internet before the access point...

always Face your Fears...
More
16 years 8 months ago #22854 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: basic question
If you are definitley connected to the correct wireless network as Alans has pointed, try browsing or pinging a web site via ip address. May be a DNS issue. To check if you are correctly configured go to start/run type control, then click network and internet connection (or network conections depending on how your looking at it) double click the wireless connection icon then click support. It should say your ip has been assigned by DHCP if not then go into you connection properties and change to "obtain ip automatically". If this has all been done and you can commincate with the wireless access point but not the web try a tracert or pathping to a website.
More
15 years 6 months ago #27563 by Lav_plsb
Replied by Lav_plsb on topic Re: basic question
Hi,

1. IF, you are sure that you are connected to your network but unable to go online
2. Ping Default gateway address (Through Command Prompt)
3. If you get replies, then Ping yahoo.com, if you get replies then Its a browser issue, if not it is DNS issue, contact ISP to know the DNS address or Assign the default DNS as 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (using Wireless connection properties)
4. IF you are not getting replies from Default gateway address, then the firewall is blocking in your computer

Thanks
More
15 years 6 months ago #27582 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic Proxy Check....
Hey Kuldeep how u doing today? Since you said you get an ip address and etc. i suggest you check your proxy settings. 2 things might be the case -

1 - Either the network u are now connecting to uses a proxy

2 - There might be an active proxy / port on your browser settings. either u or someone else put it there.

since u have an IP address i will suggest that's the next place you should check..

if that be the case this is how u check >

If you're using Firefox : - Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Setting (now u should see if u have proxies) if the network u are connected to now does not use proxies then u have simply click the first option under settings >no proxy. if it has proxies then u will need to ask the net admin or System Administrator for the proxy and port number respectively.

If you're using internet explorer: -
Tools > Internet option> connection > Lan Settings.

Hey son i hope it works for u.

Hey everyone i suggest very soon Uncle Chris should put a motto under the firewall.cx (motto : where IT is done professionally) common this site is my food. if i am online and i don't check out firewall then i did not come online (lol).

Don't mind me i am a freak.

Chris u the best.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds