Skip to main content

Wireless: D-Link DWL-2000AP or Linksys WAP54G

More
20 years 4 months ago #1971 by Neon
Hey all...

I'm quite new to wireless networking, haven’t actually built a wireless network yet but I am confident on my abilities, I know all the security issues with WLANs etc but regardless of that I would like to implement a WLAN AP in my home network.

I was looking around at some AP's and found the D-Link DWL-2000AP and the Linksys WAP54G in my price range. Has anyone had any experience with these 2 products, or is there some other brand that could be also an option. So far my finger is on D-Link as they have Tech Support in Australia, and as far as I can tell Linksys doesn’t really have an Australian branch.

But other than that, what I was planning to do was setup a MAC address filter, and static addressing for my wireless machines so the AP doesn’t just 'give out' access to my network.

What are your views on WLANs? And of course what I came here to find out, which of the two APs here would you pick?
More
20 years 4 months ago #1972 by tfs
The problem is that it is really a personal choice. I happen to like the Linksys devices as I have used, and know a few people that have used them, with good results.

I don't know whether the WAP54G has a firewall or not, but you might look at that also. I had just helped a friend install a firewall/wireless router which seems to work pretty well. Installed in minutes.

I myself have not used DLINK but know that a lot of people swear by them.

Make sure you also set WEP to give youself the best protection.

As far as Tech support goes, you only get Phone tech support from Linksys, so it doesn't matter where they are located. Not sure about DLINK. Normally, with this type of commodity product, you either take it back to store you bought it from or send it into the manufacturer. I assume DLINK is the same way (could be wrong there).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 4 months ago #1973 by sahirh
Just my two cents.. D-link makes some very good products, but my experience with their tech support was really bad (not like talking to tech support is ever good.... but still). Of course thats all the way over here in India, it might be better where you are.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #1986 by Neon
Alright

Thank you both for your input, I'll investigate both of those products further to see if they do have inbuilt firewall etc.
More
20 years 4 months ago #1987 by Neon
Actually while on the topic if wireless, I just want to confirm how safe would this configuration be for a WLAN:

- Enable WEP
- Disable DHCP (Static Assignments of Addresses)
- MAC filter (Manually enter trusted MACs)

Seeing as how I only have one Wi-Fi notebook at the moment it wouldn’t be a headache to do a static assignment of addresses and MACs.

On top of that is there anything else that’s possible to do or would that be sufficient?
More
20 years 4 months ago #1988 by Neon
nnbnbHum I should check the other forums first before posting :D

Just found a post by sahirh with the topic "Locking down Wireless LANs" in the security forum: www.firewall.cx/modules.php?name=Forums&...=viewtopic&t=419

That’s exactly what I was looking for!
:D
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds