Skip to main content

Wireless And Dial-Up Question

More
17 years 5 months ago #17866 by 00stealth00
Hey I have a question, I have a Dial-Up Connection and a Belkin Wireless Router and would like to split the internet connection to another computer if you could please list the steps for me I would greatly appreciate it. I know it is possible becuase I have messed with it before and did it, but have no idea how. Thanx

00Stealth00
More
17 years 5 months ago #17868 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic connection
hi
the first thing you want to find out is that whether your belkin wireless router supports dialup connection.
second thing is whether you have atleast one wireless card.
if the answer to the first question is yes, then you are in luck. but if answer to the second question is no, then you ain't.
the first thing i would like to say is that your dialup connection is too low in bandwidth for it to be shared between two computers. but if you still want to do it then here's a simple way:
assuming your router can support dialup connections, and you have just one wireless card :
connect the router to your ISP. then connect the first computer with the router with a ethernet cable. i am not suggesting usb even if it is available because usb is slower than ethernet.
install the wireless card on your second computer and then use it to connect to the router. do make sure that dhcp is enabled on both router and computers.
but my advice is get yourself a broadband connection before trying this out. this will work but you will not get a very good bandwidth. but if your requirements are limited to a dialup connection then it's ok.
let us know how it went.
cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #17929 by 00stealth00
My router does support a wireless Dial-Up Connection and I do have a wireless card that does work, I have previously made the connection (actually by accident) it was going fairly fast but the download rate wasn't the best. I can't get a broadband connection because I live in the middle of no where. I have connected the router and can pick up my signal but need the steps that get me connected to the internet using a dial-up connection spreading it out between the host and the client, so we can both be on the internet connection. I need the steps laid out for me if you could get me the near exact steps I would appreciate it. I would call Belkin and ask them how to do it but I always get someone I can't understand. You can get technical if you want it is O.K. I understand computers pretty well. If anyone wants to send me the steps by e-mail it is 00stealth00@gmail.com
Thanx.

00Stealth00
More
17 years 5 months ago #17931 by FallenZer0
Did a quick Google search and I'm not sure how helpful the link is, but I think the information is pretty close to what you were looking. Check it out.

forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=199201

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
17 years 5 months ago #17933 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic one last question
one last question :
does your router have ethernet ports at it's back?
cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds