Skip to main content

Rogue APs and co-channel interference

More
17 years 7 months ago #16265 by zillah
When a wireless network appears to be having some problems related to co-channel interference. A good indicators that interference problems are from a co-channel or adjacent channel source is rogue APs that is operating on the same channel near approved infrastructure devices.

The reason is : A limited number of available channels results in limited network capacity. When access points set to the same channel are within range of each other, they become mutual interferers, degrading the performance of each device. This relatively small number of channels and resulting cochannel interference limits wireless LAN capacity when operating in the narrow 2.4-GHz band. When the access points, both approved and
rogue, operate on the same channel, interference can occur when they are positioned close to each other.

I was not able to fully understand the explaination.
More
17 years 7 months ago #16267 by TheBishop
Basically all they're saying is that if another wireless network is within range of yours it needs to be operating on a different channel otherwise it will interfere with you. The transmissions from the other network will get in the way of those from your own network and make the communication between the devices in your network more difficult. As an example, you can chat to a few friends easily in a quiet room but if you try to do so at the same level of volume beside a road drill you'll find it much harder to receive what's being said (co-channel interference) and your data rate will plummet (large numbers of 'You what? Say again, didn't quite hear that' etc).
When considering this, remember that a wireless network will actually use a range of channels; one for the access point and one for each device. If you have problems with just one device it may be the channel that device has selected rather than your access point channel that is being blocked
More
17 years 7 months ago #16269 by zillah
Thanks TheBishop.

By the way , I have been experiencing receiving an email notification when some one replies to the thraed that I have started, though all options have been choosen for the notification.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds