Skip to main content

Wireless - connection trouble

More
17 years 8 months ago #15865 by asab
Hello there,

forgive me, I don't know much about wireless. but I heard someone today say they couldn’t get connection to a router up to 100%. just 80%.

however someone else could get it to 100%. this happened in the room which had the router.

they both went through the same process but got two different results.

how did that happen and what should they check first?

Plus, when one person, who had the 80% connection, move down a few floors, the connection drop down to 40%.

thanks in advance.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15873 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic wireless issues
someone who is in the same room as the wireless router, just might get 100% because of proximity issues. someone who is moving away from the wireless router will see his network strength dropping slowly, and will drop considerably if he crosses the routers area of service.
when you say "the same processes" what does that mean?

imagine you moving away from your mobile phone network coverage area!!! you do notice that the signal bar on your mobile screen keeps on dropping till it becomes zero (unless you have fortunately entered another mobile network coverage area).
this is analogous with a wireless router coverage area. within the area you will get 80% or even 100% network strength. going beyond this range, will cause a drop of that strength

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #15881 by TheBishop
And it drops off quicker than you would think too. Some modern building methods are surprisingly resistant to radio. I recently inspected a new site we're implementing where the construction was steel framed with block cladding and then foil lined surface board over the blocks. Ooo-err.
Also the throughput you get falls off quite dramatically with signal strength so you'll find the connection getting slower the further out you go. This is the access point throttling the speed down in an effort to keep you connected.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15883 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic wireless issues
completely agree with bishop, i have been to a similar building where the wireless was working in one room, and was totally dead when i tried to acess it from another room. not the mention the fact that this was a secured area, and the building served as a archive for important documents.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #15891 by asab
thanks for the response guys.

but the situation was that two people connected at the same time - but one got less connection - 80%. the other one got 100%. and they both were in the same room as the router.

they both should have got the same result - shouldn't they?

plus the one who got 100% connection moved down a few floors and still got good signal strength. whereas the other guy - the one who got 80% - move down a few floors and lost all signal and couldn't do anything.

once again, thanks for the response.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15899 by havohej
Hi.

It depends a lot if you have line of sight and if you dont, about the surface that is blocking the ap and the nic some are less radio penetraing than others thata could be a obstacle.

another reasoin could be emi external sorces.
try first doing sites survey before installing.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds