Skip to main content

Wireless router

More
20 years 5 months ago #1316 by ice_hero
Replied by ice_hero on topic Re: Wireless router
Thanks Tom for the reply.
But how about the price? Is wireless router much more expensive than normal router + AP?
Do you have any recommendation of the brand & type?
It's just a simple home network that I'm trying to set.
2 wireless laptop + 2 wired desktops
that's it..
More
20 years 5 months ago #1317 by ice_hero
forgot to say...
and just it's a single small unit with 3 rooms. no metal wall or anything..
so I don't think there is any problem with wireless router.. according to what you have explained
OK now should I go with wireless router or router+AP?
thanks

NB: pls consider the student budget here :D
More
20 years 5 months ago #1327 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Wireless router
If you don't already have a router and if the physical layout allowed it, I would probably go for the wireless router, if money was the issue.

The other thing not mentioned here is a firewall. If you don't have one, I would go with the firewall router and a separate wireless AP, myself. But I could also see going for a wireless router and put a Firewall just after that. It's one 6 of 1 half dozen of another question, where it really depends on who you speak to.

I happen to like Linksys. Never had any problems with them. I have used there regular routers, wireless routers firewall routers, vpn routers and wireless APs with good success. But lots of people like Dlink and Soho as well.

They are all equivalent products that go from about $60 to about $150.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1350 by ice_hero
Are those devices (wireless router & AP) compatible with Linux??
How do I know whether they do support Linux or not?
Because I believe most sales persons they will not sure about it either.
More
20 years 5 months ago #1353 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Wireless router
They have nothing to do with any OS. They are standalone units (all of them are).

The only thing you need to configure them is a Web Browser. You just put in the address of the device, commonly 192.168.0.1 (where your IP is on the same subnet temporarily - you can change this your subnet when you get to the configuration page), and then set it up. The box doesn't know who it is talking to, it just know IP.

I have 8 PCs and one Macintosh talking to mine. They wouldn't be much use if they differentiated by OS instead of protocol.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds