Skip to main content

Help on design for wireless internet

More
18 years 3 months ago #12648 by Prinz
.. we have a wifi connection, now I would like to share my internet connection to 4 other computers. Question: is it possible to share wireless internet?
More
18 years 3 months ago #12650 by drizzle
Absolutely. It is really pretty simple. I have a similar setup at my house. I use two Linksys WRT54G's with the OpenWRT firmware. Basically, the first router is used to pick up your internet connection. Then, you diasy chain the second to hook your clients up. A little tweaking of security and network settings and you are golden.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is possible to share wireless internet. There are many ways to do it and it really depends on your ISP and your network equipment.

I use comcast and share my internet between 3 neighbors and myself. I set up QoS so they can't hog my bandwidth and everybody is happy. My $57/mo internet bill is paid for too! $20 for each neighbor and I'm running free!!!

Drew
More
18 years 3 months ago #12651 by Prinz
am sorry.. i forgot to add something... ok heres my problem, We have 1 computer using wireless internet, I want to share it to 4 computers using a hub and a utp cable.. is this possible? am sorry am just a newbie... appreciate it much for some help.
More
18 years 3 months ago #12653 by DaLight
I'm assuming you simply have a PC with a wireless card which obtains its internet connection from a wireless router/modem over which you have no control. Obviously, if you had access to the wireless router, you could simply plug the other PCs directly into it.

If my assumption is right, the PC with the wireless connection will need to have at least one NIC which you willl connect to the hub. You will then need to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Look here for detailed instructions.
More
18 years 3 months ago #12659 by guerilla7

I use comcast and share my internet between 3 neighbors and myself. I set up QoS so they can't hog my bandwidth and everybody is happy. My $57/mo internet bill is paid for too! $20 for each neighbor and I'm running free!!!

Drew

Nice :-)

Im planning to share my 512 kbps DSL also to my neigbors wirelessly. Im still waiting for my Sputnik AP's ordered on the internet, he he he.

"I see dead packets"
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds