Skip to main content

computer

More
19 years 4 months ago #6176 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: computer
You guys are HORRIBLE, but yes it is running pretty darn hot (I think?!) she doesn't do any graphical work and when it freezes up, I will check the bios and it is consistantly running at 140 degreesF i've been told computers shouldn't be too much over 100, is this correct? Also, is that just because it is frozen so the chip is working hard or do you think that is the reason that is is frozen cuz? Thank you guys!

Thanks
More
19 years 4 months ago #6184 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Hot
It's probably locking up because the thing is too hot rather than the other way round. Make sure the fans are running and clear out any fluff or muck from them and the air holes.
Sometimes if the machine has been fitted with aditional components such as extra disks or better expansion cards then that can cause overheating as the case can't cope with the extra heat. If the case has a space for an auxiliary fan, nick one from an old dead machine and fit it.
Alternatively, could you try running it without the lid for a while to see if that really is the problem?
And finally, excuse our jealousy about your user - the only beautiful things in my office are the pot plants and some of the scripts I've written...
More
19 years 4 months ago #6188 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: computer
If you look at the CPU fan, you can peel off the top label, and there is a little hole there.. a drop of machine oil in there can work wonders.. make sure you take the fan off first and also check on exactly what oils work best... you don't wanna have it overheat and have to fix it all over again

Unless you're Systems Engineer Ray Digerati :)

I think it sounds like its running hot.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6240 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: computer
how would I know what machine oils would work best? just research it out? How hot is too hot, after a freeze up I look in the bios and it normally around 140 just now it was at 147... I've heard it shouldn't get past 105 or so... (american temp not everywhere else temp lol)

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds