Skip to main content

USB Ram Sticks

More
12 years 2 months ago #37804 by sose
USB Ram Sticks was created by sose
Please mates support my protest to make computer hardware companies produce a USB RAM stick.

THanks
More
12 years 2 months ago #37806 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: USB Ram Sticks
Sose,

USB Ram stick so you can plug it into your USB port and upgrade your system's RAM?

If this is the general idea, forgive me but I do not see much of a market considering 4Gig memory is pretty much standard on any PC/Laptop these days. After than, you'll need to take in considerations the different memory types that exist for all computers. If the clocking of the USB RAM stick is not identical to that of your PC's RAM, it would most probably cause major performance degradation.

But even if you did manage to overcome all these issues, the bandwidth between the CPU and physical RAM would be much greater than that between the system and USB ram stick, so it would ultimately create bottlenecks.....

Anyone else who would like to join in ? :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #37810 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: USB Ram Sticks
I have to agree with Chris about the performance issues. The newest USB version 3 (which is still not very common) maxes at 5 Gbit/s. While a DDR3 RAM at a nominal 200Mhz clock rate can do 100 Gbit/s, and at 266Mhz can do around 133Gbit/s. USB speeds are a tiny fraction of RAM's

But sose, you gave me a great idea now. How about trying to redirect the paging file to a USB stick. It should be faster than the hard drive. shouldn't it? Not so sure here. Or is that even possible? I might try that on a test PC ;)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by S0lo.
More
12 years 2 months ago #37812 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: USB Ram Sticks
Aaha! now I understand. I was of the mind that since we could make do with an external SATA hard disk, why not an external ram.
But what are the limitations that will prevent the full utilisation of the RAM - processor bandwidth ? I am sure that other device interaction will prevent the attainment of 100gb/s
More
12 years 2 months ago #37814 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: USB Ram Sticks
To get the performance the RAM is close to the processor in architectural terms so that there is very little 'kit' between them. If you used plug-and-play type RAM along the lines of USB or something similar then all the bridge and interface hardware would be in the way. It would crawl, and every time the processor wanted to write to RAM (which is basically all the time) it would get held up waiting
More
12 years 2 months ago #37818 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: USB Ram Sticks
Thank you all guys, I withdraw my protest
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds