Skip to main content

SSD vs. HDD

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #37589 by S0lo
SSD vs. HDD was created by S0lo
SSD hard drivers has been in the market for long years now. Yet, people and companies alike are still buying only HDDs!! (The normal mechanical hard drive). At least in my country. Yes, HDDs are cheaper and larger in size. They are good for big apps and games. But have you ever used an SSD PC, have you ever felt the "speed". I have a PC with 60Gb SSD (windows on it) and a 1 Tera HDD. And I simply love it, In fact, I have never seen or used a faster PC. Top notch servers using SCSI drives at work don't match it!!

So I thought may be this might open people's appetite a bit. (And I'm not endorsing Samsung here, Any SSD brand will do):

And this one is for fun ;)

And by the way, those videos are old. They can do even better now.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by S0lo.
More
12 years 5 months ago #37590 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: SSD vs. HDD
Ammar,

I tried something between SSD and the classic HDD on my laptop - I purchased a 320GB Momentus XT Solid State hybrid drive which is a 7200rpm HDD with a 4gig SSD on board , used to store the most frequently used files. The overall performance is a 15-20% increase in speed and there is a noticeable difference when dealing with the same program or files - the system response is much faster, however I believe that the real experience is nowhere near the 50% increase that the vendor claims :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
The following user(s) said Thank You: next_virus
More
12 years 5 months ago #37591 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: SSD vs. HDD
Chris, Thanks for posting your experience :) I've never tried a hybrid drive before. The videos above are for full SSDs and HDDs. I can't say that their wrong or right for sure. But my 60Gb SSD surly amazes me every day. Windows 7 starts in less than 16 seconds once the boot screen is gone. Firefox starts in less than 0.5 second!!. A Full search for a file in the drive happens in about 25 seconds (used space is 42 GB). And believe me I worked with loads of PCs, including SCSI drives on servers. Never saw some thing that fast B)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 5 months ago #37592 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: SSD vs. HDD
Ammar,

Yes, the speed increase is amazing, however the drives are still too expensive. The hybrid drives are cheap (in comparison to SSD) and provide an increased performance boost. At the moment, 60 Gigs wouldn't be enough just for my programs and data, so there is no way I can move to a SSD solution, not at least their prices come down.

Correct to my previous post, the hybrid hdd I purchased is not a 320GB, but a 500GB.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #37593 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: SSD vs. HDD

Chris wrote: Yes, the speed increase is amazing, however the drives are still too expensive. The hybrid drives are cheap (in comparison to SSD) and provide an increased performance boost.

I agree on this, which is why I have another 1 Tera HDD for the rest of my programs. I put the OS and my most frequently used programs like office, browsers, FLStudio, etc. on the SSD. The rest is on the HDD.

On the other hand to reduce my overall cost, I lowered other hardware specs. So instead of buying an i7, I got an i5 CPU. And instead of getting 8GB RAM, I got 6GB. Windows Experience Index gives me 7.0

I must have a look at those hybrid drives too. Sounds interesting :)

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by S0lo.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds