Skip to main content

reinstalled Windows Vista, the sleep button is grayed out

More
13 years 11 months ago #34623 by lmcares4u2003
recently reinstalled Windows Vista because I was encountering boot up problems. The installation went fine, except now I cant put the computer to sleep. In the start menu, the sleep button is grayed out. Before reinstalling, the sleep function was there and was working fine. Is there any way i can re enable
More
13 years 10 months ago #34633 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic No sleep option
Hi
Go to Run - > and in the box type in 'cmd' and click on 'OK' to bring out the command prompt.
On that prompt, type 'powercfg -a'

This will show you the various sleep options available on that PC, and also what devices do not support sleep feature and the reason behind it.
Nine times out of ten, it is a device driver update which needs to be done to allow the sleep functionality.
So try that test and check if any device driver needs updating.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 10 months ago #34639 by lmcares4u2003
the result after using that command, the following sleep states are not available on this system:
standby (s1)
the system firmware doest not support this standby.
the VGAPNP.SYS display driver does not support this standby. please consult your hardware vendor for an updated display driver

I KNOW WENT AND LOOK AT THE VGA UNDER DEVICE MANAGER,,,,,DISCOVER THAT THE VGA IS MARKED, NEED A DRIVER.
More
13 years 10 months ago #34642 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Update drivers
Hi there,
Looks like a classic case of the VGA drivers that need updating. Either find your original drivers for your VGA or search the internet for the latest drivers. Or go into your device manager, and right click on the flagged VGA card, and ask Windows to look for an updated driver. That should work. Once done, restart your system and you should see your sleep mode is enabled.
Let us know how it went.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
13 years 10 months ago #34645 by lmcares4u2003
i want to download the vga driver so that i can use it update the vga.....
More
13 years 10 months ago #34661 by lmcares4u2003
thanks 2 u Arani have downloaded the VGA driver then its work so i can accaess the sleep now that is grayed out before......kudos 2 u
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds