Skip to main content

Hardrive not compatible

More
20 years 1 month ago #2808 by George
Hi all
This might be stupid question but can anyone please tell why when I try to connect a 10 Gb HDD from IBM Machine and connect in place of 12 Gb HDD in IBM Machine ,I gets to a blue screen saying stop error
of a boot device .now I am pretty sure that this due to motherbeoard incompaibility .Am I right if I say that the solution to the problem is
either with the motherbaord jumpers
or flashing bios or am I missing clearly of something else

Thanx in Advance

George

More
20 years 1 month ago #2809 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Hardrive not compatible
If the jumpers are set wrong it shouldnt give you a blue screen, at the most the hard disk wont detect... is it detecting in your BIOS autoconfiguration section ?

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #2810 by George
Replied by George on topic Re: Hardrive not compatible
Yes I agree too that the hardrive is getting detected 'cause I get to the screen where I can choose the operating system to choose from (i.e) windows 2000 and windows nt on dual boot but windows nt was not installed properly just the entries remain in the boot.ini but after I choose w2k ,it gets me to the screen of whic I was talking about ,it never occured to me to check the BIOS as I was convinced a it was setected in BIOS .And to add that was only one hardrive that i was trying to install in place of a single primary HDD
But Sahirh I think I should give BIOS a chance to see how it was detected

And thanx for immediate response you give each time

George

More
20 years 1 month ago #2816 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Hardrive not compatible
I correctly suspected that Windows 2000 O/S was installed on that 12Gig hdd and it must have come out from a machine with a different motherboard, which is the reason your getting the blue screen and the boot device error.

Your problem is one that many people have faced and haven't been informed why it's been caused.

This is purely a IDE chipset driver problem. I've made a few posts on this particular problem, along with it's solution, which involves adding a few files into your system directory BEFORE you take the hdd out and stick it into a different machine.

You will find the files required, along with their installation instructions conveniently placed in the download section (windows patches and addons-->windows 2000 - IDE Chipset Compatibility), but at I said, you need to place your 12gig hdd back into the system you took it out of, installl the files, and then reinstall it on your current machine.

The result will be a safe boot into Windows 2000, allowing you to reinstall all drivers for that system.

If you need more information, let me know!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 month ago #2834 by goldensnake
Thanks Chris, i did face the problem before and was told by people the only solution is to reinstall windows.

Really appreciate it.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds