Skip to main content

slaving harddisk

More
15 years 8 months ago #26900 by sose
slaving harddisk was created by sose
i want to slave a hard disk directly from the cable insertion on the board not from the jumper . how do i do that
More
15 years 8 months ago #26902 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: slaving harddisk
If I got you right, I don't think this is possible. Or at least I've never seen it done. HDs work either as Master (alone), or Cable Select (alone), or Master and Slave (2 on one cable together). In all three cases, you would have to set the jumpers on the HDs them selves.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #26907 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: slaving harddisk
explain the cable sellect procedure to me

solo , you 've been helpful these days. keep it up.
More
15 years 8 months ago #26910 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: slaving harddisk

explain the cable sellect procedure to me

You need to set the jumper on the hard drive to CS (there are usually three options, Master, Slave and Cable Select). You'll need a Cable Select IDE cable which will have three connectors - one attaches to the motherboard, the next one will be the slave and the far end one will be the master. It depends upon which connector you use to attach to the hard drive. If you have only one hard drive, you should attach it to the connector at the end opposite to that connecting to the motherboard. Leave the middle one free, unless you have two hard drives.
More
15 years 8 months ago #26913 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: slaving harddisk

explain the cable select procedure to me

Sure, glad to help :)

I have to make a correction on my previous post,

HDs work either as Master (alone), or Cable Select (alone) or Cable Select (2 drives on one cable), or Master and Slave (2 on one cable).

There are four cases, not three. Thanks SteveP :)

"Cable Select" means that you put both jumpers of both drives on Cable Select, and the cable selects which drive is Master and which is Slave according to the connector you connect them to. On an IDE "80-conductor Ultra DMA cable" The Master is the END connector and the Slave is the MIDDLE connector. As SteveP mentioned.

However, on an old IDE "40-conductor IDE/ATA", the positions are flipped!!. The Master is on the MIDDLE connector and the Slave is on the END connector. Besides, not all "40-conductor IDE/ATA" support the cable select feature. More here:

www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html
www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 2 months ago #28889 by tea_clipper
Replied by tea_clipper on topic use the jumper
IDE cables whether on the primary or the secondary you got to change the jumper setting physically....

Best days!
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds