Skip to main content

PC Too Slow

More
20 years 2 months ago #2580 by chandak76
PC Too Slow was created by chandak76
Hi, I have a pentium iii. 933 Mhz, 128 mb ram.I had a 10 gb hdd running windows xp pro,last knight i removed the 10 gb hdd and replaced it with a 40 gb hdd.When i tried to install windows 98 se the computer became so slow that it was saying 186 mins remaining to to complete the installation.I tried to replace the the 10 gb hdd but the computer has just become really slow.Please help.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2611 by chandak76
Replied by chandak76 on topic reset my bios
I reset my bios settings to the default settings and the pc seems fast enough,but when i try to install windows 98 se when the installation almost finishing i get an error that says "a fatal exception oe has occured at 0028:c02247f8 in vxd vmm (06) + 000047f8.the current application will be terminated"When i try to install windows xp pro, some files don't wanna copy.

Chandak76
More
20 years 2 months ago #2615 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: PC Too Slow
After you reset the bios to its default config, did you change the settings to make sure all your hardware is working ?
Sounds to me like you've got a hardware problem.. if you're sure both your CDs are fine it may be the CD-ROM drive, or the RAM, or even the motherboard.....

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2637 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: PC Too Slow
ChanDak76 –

First thought that comes to mind is that you have too much computer that Windows 98 just don’t know how to handle it, this may just be your issue. Check with MS or even the MB manufacture to see what the requirements are.

Then you state that resetting the BIOS sorta fixed it, here I’d say again the MB does not support Windows 98. Double check. If it does then consider flashing the BIOS, but please read all warnings before doing such a task. You could kill that board if you do it wrong or have issues during. If you’ve never flashed anything then contact the manufacture for assistance.

The error messages at the end of the second try “0028:c02247f8 in vxd vmm (06) + 000047f8” . The “vxd” is a “virtual device driver” and the “vmm” is a “virtual memory management”

For this I would look at either MB RAM, may have a bad stick? Or look at the video card it self, try a different card? Try a PCI card for testing.

But my gut is telling me the architect of your system is to new for 98, check eBay for a good deal on a 400, :D

Good Luck!

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2639 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: PC Too Slow
You can check your memory using Microsofts Memory diagnostic program, which works pretty well.

Just download the program, run it (it have you create a startup diskette) and reboot your machine with the diskette installed. It will startup automatically and you can run basic or extended (may as run this to check for sure).

I used it and found a bad memory module with it. Replaced it and the machine worked great afterwords.

URL:
oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp?SD=GN&LN=EN-US&gssnb=1

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds