Skip to main content

Verizon Fios Modem

More
16 years 8 months ago #22643 by Lindows
Verizon Fios Modem was created by Lindows
Hey Guys,

I just had my Verizon Fios Install. It works good, nice speed, but i dont trust the modem they gave me. Unfortunately the WAN into the modem is Coaxial, which makes it hard for me to find another brand modem i can use. Does any have any recommendation on how i can replace this modem. I was think about getting a coaxial to rj45 converter.

lindows
More
16 years 8 months ago #22647 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Verizon Fios Modem
I picked up a Linksy's modem that had a coaxial input for the WAN. I will have to find the exact model number for you.

I don't know about converting it from coaxial to RJ-45, don't you think that would create a bottleneck, if not a bottleneck it would definitely create unnecessary overhead.

What FiOS speed did you acquire?

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 8 months ago #22675 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Thanks Zip
I got 20/5

Your saying if i get the linksys router you aquired, it would remove the Bottle Neck.

Lindows
More
16 years 8 months ago #22677 by ZiPPy
Remove the bottleneck? I wasn't aware that we even had a bottleneck situation. I was saying if you implement a converter you could create a bottleneck.

I didn't know they had a 20/5 connection. I thought they only had 5/2, 15/2, 30/5. Having 20/5 is a nice solid speed.

If your concerned about the modem, do a google search for cable modems and you'll find lots of modem with coaxial WAN ports available.

ZiPPy
More
16 years 8 months ago #22681 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Unpop the top...
Sorry dude,

I misunderstood the bottle neck situation. So, i can use any cable modem and run it on my fios connection. Do you recommend any. I want to have a modem with Giga bit ports.

I'll take your advice and google for a modem.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22682 by ZiPPy
I actually have to do some research myself on a modem for my FiOS. They just finished up tearing apart my street laying the cable for FiOS, but I still don't have access. The anticipation is killing me!!!

I have seen the modem at a friends house, and I must say, the darn thing is huge!!

With that type of connection, having a gigabit port available to you is a really good idea. I may have to upgrade my 10/100 network to a 10/100/1000 network when I get the FiOS up and running.

I would have to go with Linksy's right now bud, I have never had any problems with there modems.

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds