Skip to main content

2.5 hard disk power

More
16 years 10 months ago #22130 by monsky
2.5 hard disk power was created by monsky
hi to all,

all the 2.5 laptop harddisk i found works on 5 volts. my question is does the 700 mA and 500 mA on the power specification matters?

i googled it already and all the information i got does not emphasized much on the amperes.

what if i'm going to use my 12GB 700mA spare hard disk to replaced the existing 6GB 5v 500mA harddisk on my laptop, will it not cause damage to the motherboard of my laptop?

here is the specs:

Toshiba MK1214GAP HDD2149 12GB DC+5V 700mA
IBM Travelstar DARA-206000 6GB DC+5V 500mA

thanks!
More
16 years 10 months ago #22134 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: 2.5 hard disk power
The mA figure is the amount of current drawn from the supply by the drive. As you observe, the one you're thinking of using as a replacement does draw more current than the orignal however the current stated will be a maximum - it won't be taking either 500 or 700 mA continuously. My feeling is that it would work perfectly fine but, of course, no guarantees!
More
16 years 10 months ago #22137 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: 2.5 hard disk power
i think u first need to check the compatiblity with systemboard.
and the difference is when you calculate the power s
5v x 500mA = 2500mW
5v x 700mA = 3500mW
see if the outlets from systemboard to the HD in the power range!
Or, you can connect it directly and what is happen :idea:

always Face your Fears...
More
16 years 10 months ago #22155 by monsky
Replied by monsky on topic Re: 2.5 hard disk power

5v x 500mA = 2500mW
5v x 700mA = 3500mW

i think that where my problem was. it drawns more power to the supply, an overload may happen to the chip responsible to sustain the required wattage.

actually i've already plugged this harddisk on one laptop, it was a disaster, :o after i have installed the OS and other softwares in about 2 hours, suddenly there was a "tick" sound and smell of burned IC.

i opened it up and i've found that an IC on the motherboard, near the interface of the harddisk was burned. i was thinking if it was just a coincidental and that the burned chip was really about to break.

am i right with my conclusion? any opinion? :?
More
16 years 10 months ago #22157 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: 2.5 hard disk power
Oh dear, it does sound like that is what happened. Is there any identifying data on the dead chip? If you're lucky it may just be a voltage regulator or something you can replace if you're handy with a soldering iron
More
16 years 10 months ago #22162 by monsky
Replied by monsky on topic Re: 2.5 hard disk power
i don't think that it could be repairable. i cant read the label at all, even i am able to desolder it, the problem of availability of the parts comes next.
i am very regretful for what had happened because of my dumbness.
and also to confirm if it really dumbness or coincidental.

and last thing, it was my friends' laptop :lol:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds