Skip to main content

40 GIGS HARD DISK WITH PII.....

More
17 years 7 months ago #16655 by talk2sp
my people what if i buy a 40 gig hardisk and insert it into a pentium 2 compaq deskpro, and i also by a 512 RAM am i save.... is such combination kool enough.....

pls i need answer and my people which ever answer u give pls and pls state ur reasons........

thanks ,..............

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 7 months ago #16664 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic hardware
hi,
you have stated some hardware that you are going to use to build a pc. but this is not sufficient to say whether it would be a good or a bad computer because you have not stated the purpose of building this pc i.e its intended usage. most importantly you need to state which operating system you are going to install. then you must need to decide what you want to use the pc for, is it normaly surfing on the internet, standard office application, some low end gaming etc?
and again you have not stated what kind of graphics card you want to use, does the graphics card have shared memory or dedicated memory, will this pc have a cd rom drive?
these are some of the criteria which need to be satisfied before you can go ahead and say its cool enough.
i have a pc which has AMD athlon 64 3700+ cpu, 2 gigs of ram, 400 gb harddisk space, ATI Radeon X500 with 128 MB memory, and i still think it's not cool enough for all the work that i do on it.
so whether a pc is cool enough or not, depends on what you intend to use it for.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 7 months ago #16665 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic it will be used for....
@ long last Arani its u i have been waiting for to answer this question. em i will be using it as a Server (i am making a Client/ Server type of network) so what about that...

will it work now?

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 7 months ago #16667 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic server pc
hi
sorry not enoug, you do realize that you want to create a server which will working of requests of several client computers, so the processing power needs to be a bit on the higher side. but this is my personal opinion. even ram is not sufficient.
you should atleast have a 2.3 ghz celeron to run your server, to ensure smooth functioning.
if you go and see microsoft's system requirements page, you will find that you meet most of the criteria (from what you have stated already), but personal experience suggests that microsoft publishes requirements which enable the servers to barely crawl instead of being up and running.
so remember this is not a standalone workstation, its a server, it will be working with several clients, so it needs to be fast, have more conventional memory, and hard disk space to accomodate the clients requests in a fast and efficient manner.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds