Skip to main content

Start, Freeze, restart. Repeat

More
17 years 7 months ago #16514 by Ranger24
Hi Guys,

I have an old desktop what just doesn't like to play nicely, and I am sure it is a hardware fault.

During boot up (into linux) it will freeze at different times and need a complete power off and cold boot to continue. Some days this happens 5 or 6 times before it boots successfully, and other days it works first time every time.

None of the OS logs (dmesg, syslog, kdm, X) show any errors at the time of the freeze.

I have systematically removed and re installed all hardware (Network cards, USB cards, Sound cards, Graphics cards & memory) with no obvious effect on the fault.

Any ideas as to how I can identify this fault, or at least elminate the motherboard and processor as causes of this fault?

Cheers

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 7 months ago #16516 by DaLight
Sounds like a motherboard or processor fault. You could try setting the BIOS to default settings. Does the Processor have a fan, and does it work?
More
17 years 7 months ago #16517 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic processor issues
hi,
yes follow DaLight's process. what processor is it? this looks like classic symptoms of AMD processors, with a bad heat sink compound layer between the heat sink and the processor surface. try reapplying the paste again afresh, and check for difference.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 7 months ago #16521 by Ranger24
Hi Guys,

Yes it is an AMD processor with fan (Athlon 1600+). The fan can get a little noisy....

I'll pop the cover off and check the fan / CPU closely.

I do tend to mess around with bios's a bit....I'll also reset to defaults and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 7 months ago #16538 by Alans
hi..
before, i have same problem, and it was motherboard's problem

always Face your Fears...
More
17 years 7 months ago #16539 by monsky
same with alans, i got the same problem and its the motherboard, i swapped the hard disk to the other PC that has the same specs, the problem did not occur. take also the advise of the arani, dalight. :)
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds