Skip to main content

CD Amber

More
17 years 8 months ago #15732 by asab
CD Amber was created by asab
Hi all,

I'm trying to fix a CD.

But it doesn't work - the LED keeps blinking Amber - 8 times. and doesn't turn green.

Help.

Thanks in advance.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15741 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: CD Amber
Hi asab,
Having worked as a PC technician I have found out that some computer parts are considered consumables. That is because their very low price compared to the cost and time to repair them makes them not worth repairing.
You'd be better off getting a new CD drive or even better a DVD-R drive (with the low price that you can get one), which will after all help you with all your reading and writing needs.

Cheers
More
17 years 8 months ago #15758 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic cd issues
hi, if you can tell me your model and make of the cdrom drive, i might be able to tell you what that amber light flashing 8 times means

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #15769 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic CD Repair
nnbnbIf you just want to get the system working then I'm with The_Bezerker; just buy a new one. The prices are so low these days that these are a commodity item.
If however you want to stretch your brain, learn something new and replace the glass in your window (as you'll probably end up throwing the drive through it) then have a look at www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm . If the drive doesn't work you have nothing to lose except lots of time and you might learn a great deal in the process
More
17 years 8 months ago #15797 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: CD Amber
Go buy a new one, like everyone else said. You could spend hours/day/weeks trying to solve the problem and fail. Then you will end up buying a replacement anyway!! So save yourself the heartache, and buy a new one.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15822 by asab
Replied by asab on topic Re: CD Amber
Hello good people,

I would usually go out and buy a new one, because I know that it would take a mammoth effect to fix it.

But I’m on a work placement and my job is to strip down old computers and build working ones with the parts left over for a bunch of A+ students to play with.

they told me to save as many parts as I could and chucking stuff should be the very last option.

thanks for the advice anyway.

PS I chucked it. Oh yeah, I got five computers working from a pile of junk - yes!!! :D - sorry, I felt I needed to celebrate that with someone.

take care.

Thanks for the website TheBishop.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds