Skip to main content

explain the terms

More
20 years 6 months ago #766 by anwar
explain the terms was created by anwar
hi
i will be thankful if u explain me about the following terms.
1) Load
2) Reliability
3) Max Transmission Unit
4) Band Width
5) Delay
More
20 years 6 months ago #771 by hiro-fu
Replied by hiro-fu on topic Re: explain the terms
This is a quick reply:

Most info can be found at: www.webopedia.com

Another address for Max Transmission Unit: www.cisco.com/warp/public/121/mtu_atm.html

And one more resource: compnetworking.about.com/library/glossar...=ss11_compnetworking

I hope this helps.

:D

The reward for success is greater risk ~ Hiro fu
More
20 years 6 months ago #773 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: explain the terms
In case you didn't get a chance to look them up, the short answers:

These are all metrics 4 are used to calculate routes, the other 2 (you are missing hop count) are used in other ways. These are IGRP Metrics (I assume).

1) Load - How heavily utilized is the given link (the link could be faster that another link, but if it is overloaded with traffic - a slightly slower link may be a better choice. Faster is not always better).

2) Reliability - what is the error rate of the link ( Ratio of packets that arrive undamaged).

3) Max Transmission Unit (MTU) - The maximum size of a packet (datagram), this is not for calculating routes - just tells other routers what size packet it can accommodate. If the packets are larger than the MTU, they can be broken up into 2 or more packets.

4) Bandwidth - speed of the link (1200 bps - 10 Gpbs, defaulting to T1 speed of 1.544 Mbps).

5) Delay - measures the amount time to traverse the link in the network. The sum of the delays of other routers it must go through in a route.

6) Hop count - ( the one not mentioned and is not used by IGRP to calculate route - just to prevent routing loops). Hop count is maintained by IGRP as a threshold comparison. If you have passed the number of hops defined (up to 255), routes are invalidated.

Hope this helps,

Tom.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds