Skip to main content

osi model with ftp

More
20 years 7 months ago #574 by anwar
osi model with ftp was created by anwar
hi :!:

i want to know in detail about osi layers by taking ftp example into consideration. could u plz send me the details of osi layers with protocols with ftp example.

bye
:D
More
20 years 7 months ago #583 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: osi model with ftp
Anwar,

Have you searched this site for the information your requesting?

The OSI model is available here, along with the FTP protocol.

I'd recommend you read the following topics in the indicated order to help you understand and solve your question:

1) The OSI Model + Encapsulation/Decapsulation page
2) Protocols (Introduction)
3) TCP and UDP
4) Ftp Protocol

The data and instructions contained within a packet of a FTP session is not that much of interest when your trying to understand how the protocol works and transfers data from one point to another.

If you can understand the OSI reference model and how it users the underlying transport protocols (TCP and UDP) to service the above layer protocol like FTP or TFTP, then you can see the big picture and realise how it all works.

The instructions the ftp client and server send to each other is of little importance to us, since we are interested on how the transfering model works, and for this reason, it is important to understand the above suggested topics.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #730 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: osi model with ftp
I would reccomend you download a protocol map.. basically what they show are all protocols at each layer of the OSI model, and how they interconnect.. I have one as a pdf but its too big to upload anywhere.. besides you can get them online..

I think the site is www.decodes.com

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #732 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: osi model with ftp
Actually,

A protocol map is on this site at the Networking/Protocols/"Introduction to Network Protocols" page.

As Sahirh says, it is very helpful to get a visual picture of how they all relate.

Tom.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds