Skip to main content

Spanning Tree Protocol

More
19 years 7 months ago #5201 by thorpe
Can some one explain what the Spanning Tree and Rapid Spanning Tree protocol's are used for or point me to a web page that explains them, I think there is some where on the firewall.cx web site but I dont seem to be able to find it.

thanks
More
19 years 7 months ago #5202 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Spanning Tree Protocol
The spanning tree protocol is covered very lightly on our site - we do have plans to fully analyse it after we finish the VLAN topic.

Our own references for the protocol can be found under "Networking/Connectivity/Switches & Bridges", so you can read that and then jump on to the following url:

www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/tec...col_family_home.html

Hope that helps,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 7 months ago #5254 by cybersorcerer
STP is used with network devices such as routers and bridges, and it uses an algorithim to create a tree-like logical hierarchy of devices and creates a redundant network structure. It also uses protocols such as HELLO to prevent loops between devices. SPT can also intertwine functions such as load distribution and MAC filters.

As for a tutorial, I have no idea, although I know most of what I know about STP from a book called "Internetworking: A guide to a Structured Network" by Petra Borowka. Although this book is outdated it covers all the frameworks that newer technology is built off of, a must know for any network enthuasiast. Fair warning, it assumes a lot. Well good luck.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
19 years 7 months ago #5293 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Spanning tree
Not much more to add here. The main 'real world' use of spanning tree is so you can have multiple paths in an Ethernet network that would otherwise cause a network loop. STP resolves the 'tree' and sets all the multiple paths except one to a blocking state. If the forwarding path fails, it detects the topology change and enables one of the others. Fast spanning tree is used on Cisco switches. If you're using a port for an end device (as opposed to a multiple link to other switches etc) you can set its STP mode to fast. When the PC comes on, you then don't have to wait for the STP set up time, it just enables the port straight away.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds