Skip to main content

What ports need to be open for MS Office?

More
19 years 10 months ago #4437 by glacier
Hello,
I manage a network for a small business that blocks internet access for some employees. I am using a linksys wired router and blocked internet access from there. When I did, some of the office apps are very slow to load ( word, access, ect.). I know I read somewhere that you need to unblock some ports for office to function properly but I can not get my hands on that info..
Does anyone know what ports they are or where I could get that info?????
More
19 years 10 months ago #4441 by Jack
Glacier --

No ports needed to run MS Office Suite, check out MSCONFIG and turn off extra junk such as OSA, Nero, etc. These apps will run just fine with out them.

Good Luck,

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 7 months ago #5450 by anystupidassname
use open office

ouch, ouch, no, don't hurt me!
More
19 years 7 months ago #5453 by sahirh
I switch to Open Office on Windows as well... < 50 MB for the full suite.. with all the applications .. it loads quickly, has not had trouble rendering documents with multiple nested tables, indexes, images etc.

So far so good.. its gone a long way since I used it last.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5562 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic OpenOffice
I had a play with Open Office about a year and a half ago. In general terms it is compatible with the offering from Mr Gates, in that you can take a file generated in one suite and use it in the other. The little nuances though, like an MS Powerpoint presentation with cool animations in it, weren't quite translated correctly when opened in Open Office with some consequent strange problems. However things have probably got much better since then.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds