Skip to main content

a question about the TCP connection

More
20 years 9 months ago #442 by Chris
Thorpe,

I must admit that was some really good information. I have been trying to gather as much information on the ISN and this will help me complete the analysis of TCP Sequencing.

The wired thing, as with most topics covered on the Internet and in books is that they rarely go into that much detail, which is also the reason I decided the TCP section needed a good face lift.

Let me know if you come across more cool info!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #795 by sahirh
Yep, the sequence number selection is algorithm based and differs from OS to OS..

btw thorpe the info about it changing every 0.4 microseconds and cycling every 9.5 hrs.. which os was this on and wow.. did you find that out through your testing ?! interesting bit of info.

Chris, perhaps a section on tcp sequence prediction ;) not that we'd need it for anything.. but just the theory perhaps.. since a lot of the content on the site ends up being security related.. even a techincal analysis on Kevin Mitnick vs Tsutomu Shimomura might be nice since that was the most famous sequence prediction attack.. in fact predicting the sequence numbers was the hardest part of the hack.

Sahir

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds